Large, red and raised bump on breast after augmentation. What is it, and should I be concerned? (Photo)

I had a breast augmentation 6 months ago (not happy with it, left me with double bubble). And I know it's probably nothing serious, but this red bump started forming 2 weeks ago, it's gotten bigger and hurts if I try to pick or scratch at it. Has it something to do with my implants or just a mosquito bite? I was just concerned that it hasn't gone down in over 2 weeks.

Check with your surgeon

You should make an appointment with your plastic surgeon for an in person examination as the symptoms you are describing could indicate a number of things. More pictures would be helpful, but having your doctor examine you and prescribe further treatment is probably necessary.
Good luck!

Bump on breast?

This long after your breast augmentation this well demarcated bump probably has nothing to do with your breast implants. While a bite of some type is possible, the more likely diagnosis is an infected sebaceous cyst. My recommendation would be that you be evaluated by a plastic surgeon where if thought appropriate, an incision and drainage of the cyst with cultures and antibiotics could be given.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Red Bump

This could be a superficial skin issue that your primary care physician or dermatologist can help with. Best to be seen in person.

Take care

Breast augmentation question

If this was a mosquito bite it should have gotten better by now. It's difficult to diagnose the cause without a physical exam. Contact your surgeon and go in and see them. They will be your best resource.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Most insect bites and other irritants should have seen a slowly improving appearance, not worsening.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation to ensure all is well and to have treatment options recommended.  This is likely a folliculitis or pimple irritated through picking and scratching.  Hope that this helps.

Skin lesion post breast augmentation

Emily,

Thanks for the query and for the photos.

It is hard to diagnose whats going on without a physical exam.  It seems that it might just be an insect bite or a pimple/ingrown hair.

Go see your Plastic Surgeon for a follow up.
Best of luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Breast augmentation - raised bump on inner breast at 6 months

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• If you were bitten by a mosquito, the bite should be getting smaller. 
  • More likely, this is an internal suture working its way to the surface - but one can't tell by looking.
  • Even if you aren't happy with your surgeon, you should return to her/him to have this checked, diagnosed and treated. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Large, red and raised bump on breast after augmentation. What is it, and should I be concerned?

Thank you for posting your pictures.  Unfortunately, from pictures we cannot be sure what it is.  You should go see your Plastic surgeon for an in person examination.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Needs an exam

An exam will hep determine if this is reactive or pustular in nature.
Does not seem related to your implants.

Skin Lesion on Breast

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  This could be the result of infIammation, infection or neoplasm.  I would advise you to see your plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!