Is an early revision rhinoplasty better in some cases?

5 months out of rhinoplasty and my tip cartilages, which I had very little work on the tip and it is buckling and pinching because they were weak and I have thin skin according to consults I've been to. This is something that will only worsen with time from my understanding. Will early internventation at 6 months to one year make for an easier revision than if I were to wait several years as the deformity progresses?

Early revision

It is advisable to do early revision if it is a minor concern and can be corrected without extensive dissection.  However if it is more involved then it is best to wait for 1 year for the scars to mature.
Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is best to give it time to soften up. This can take a full year or more. Working with stiff tissue will not be manageable.

Early revision

Generally you want to wait at least a year before going back in. In addition to the tissues being more manageable, the blood supply has typically returned to the area and makes revision surgery safer. Going in too early risks skin and cartilage necrosis. I would only do it earlier if it was a small scar revision or a patient was in significant pain from a displaced graft, for example.  Best of luck moving forward!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Revision earlier than one year may be more difficult

A revision rhinoplasty performed earlier than one year may be more difficult due to persistent swelling that may be present.   Waiting too long, like several years, can also be bad as a deformity progresses and becomes more difficult to fix.    The sweet spot somewhere between one and two years if you definitely know that you have to do it. 

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon