Can I use a baby bulb syringe after rhinoplasty to aspire mucus since I cannot blow my nose...?

I costantly have hay fever, so that's would be helpful at least.

Cleaning Nose after Rhinoplasty

Dear ficullen,

I would confirm with your operating surgeon what their recommendations are, but in our office we have patients clean their nose with a Q tip and half strength hydrogen peroxide a few times a day, and then follow up with bacitracin on the inside as well. Once patients are 3 days post op, they can start to use saline nasal spray to passively moisten the inside of their nose. This helps to loosen the nasal secretions without blowing your nose or inserting a Q tip too far into the nostrils. I hope this helps!

Use of baby bulb syringe after rhinoplasty

I would check with your Plastic Surgeon to make sure he/she is okay with the use of a bulb syringe. A lot of times there are incisions inside the nose so you want to be careful you don’t irritate those incisions.I instruct my patients to use saline nasal sprays initially after surgery to irrigate the inside of the nose.It is best to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Eugene Kim, MD

Rhinoplasty and Saline Spray

Dear Reader,
We always advice our patients after Rhinoplasty to use a q-tip moistened with distilled water to gently clean the inside and outside edges of the nostrils.  We also recommend to use Saline nose drops you can buy over the counter at your pharmacy to gently cleanse the inside and to help with breathing.

Best of Luck!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and mucous

Best to ask your surgeon what he prefers. If you were my patient and you no longer had the nasal splint( like 1 wk out), I allow patients to gently clean their nose with a q-tip after showering.  Good luck.

Removing nasal secretions

It is very helpful to use saline spray after a rhinoplasty when you can now blow your nose follow it by using a small baby bulb syringe to remove the secretions.  Be careful not to insert it too far in the nose.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Aspiration of the nose after rhinoplasty is probably okay.

I don't see a problem with what you're proposing. However, consent needs to come only from your own surgeon. Liberal use of nasal spray to irrigate out the area will permit evacuation through the back of the mouth.

Baby bulb syringe after rhinoplasty

Thanks for your question. Allergies are the worst. You can combat this in a few ways. First, use plenty of saline spray. I'm sure that the bulb syringe would be fine, but check with your surgeon. Different surgeons have different rules about nose blowing. For me, it just depends on how much work was done. Another option is to take antihistamine pills- preferably the ones without the decongestant in them. Just check with your surgeon to make sure that it's ok to take something like that during the healing process. Good luck!

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon