Does getting male breast reduction at an older age (age 60) diminish probability of getting a good result?

I am a 59 year old male, considering having some glandular tissue and fat removed from one breast. I’ve had the glandular density on one side only since my teens, but now it seems to be sagging more and looking more noticeable, although I’m still the same body I had in my 20s. Both gland and fat volume is, at most, the size of 2 golf balls. Can I still expect to get a smooth result after removing that volume at my age? Will wearing a compression garment for a longer period help?

Reducing Breast Size in Men over 50

The treatment of #older men with #gynecomastia still follows basic surgical guidelines and principles. First, the patient must be in generally good health. There is no defined upper age limit for gynecomastia surgery. However, medical issues, such as hypertension, diabetes, etc. must be under control prior to surgery. In older men the main difference in the surgery compared with younger men has to do with their skin tone and nipple position. As we get older, we lose #elastin in our skin which leads to decreased tone. Therefore, in certain cases, the gynecomastia surgery in older men will also need to address the loosened skin and possibly #repositioning of the nipple and areola. This will allow for the most ideal contour and a patient who is happy with their results.

Older patients will notice some skin laxity after male breast reduction surgery

Let's face it.  As we get older, everything gets looser.  If you remove tissue from any part of the body, the skin will be looser afterwards.  Male breast reduction for gynecomastia is no different.  The degree of postoperative laxity will depend upon: 1. The amount of fatty and glandular tissue removed (more removal = more laxity) and 2. Your preoperative skin tone.  If you are willing to deal with some increased laxity of the chest in an effort to make your chest smaller, then gynecomastia surgery may be worthwhile.  Otherwise you may be better off just "living with it."  And yes, judicious use of a compression garment is beneficial, but it is no substitute for good preoperative skin tone.

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia correction

Gynecomastia can be corrected at any age with a good result. The difference at your age compared to when you were 20 is your skin tone. I would recommend having a consultation with an experience board certified plastic surgeon so that you can have your skin laxity evaluated. That will determine which procedure would be best for you and what kind of scarring you should expect.

Gynecomastia Chicago IL

It is more of a challenge,but the oldest patient I did was in his seventies,and he was very happy with his results.

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia

There are multiple factors that influence the result in each case of gynecomastia.An important factor that plays a role in the final result is skin elasticity.Good skin  elasticity is a positive after removal of tissue. Good elasticity will allow the skin to contract after surgery. As one ages there is a decrease in skin elasticity. The decrease in elasticity  is patient specific and there is a significant variability from one patient to the next. 

Male Breast Reduction

My male breast reduction patients range from teens to seniors. Men of all ages can acheive a result that makes them feel more confident and comfortable. 
The approach depends on the amount of excess tissue and the laxity of skin. My approach is to leave the smallest scar possible.  Look at many photos as you research the plastic surgeon who is right for you.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon