Will a chin implant change my frontal view? (photos)

I have a recessed chin from my profile view, but it looks normal from the front. Will the chin implant change this? Can a chin implant be installed differently to affect the frontal view?

Chin Implant

The style of chin implant should take into consideration more than just the profile view. Chin implants can definitely affect chin width and most styles have the potential to make it wider. Certain chin implant styles will not affect the width or can be modified to not do so.

Chin implant contour changes

A chin implant has more influence on the profile or oblique view than on the front view.  But implants can be selected that have more influence than others.  As an example, you can get a more masculine shaped implant that creates a wider, more square chin pad.  That would clearly looks changed from the front and side views.  Or you an get a softer, more general implant that does not have as much squaring, and most of the effects are seen from the side.  These are issues you need to discuss with your surgeon, and are aided by additional image morphing software.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will a chin implant change my frontal view?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  The proper placement of a chin implant will positively affect the look of the chin in the front as well as the profile.

Hope this helps.

Chin implant candidate

Chin  implants are composed of Silastic and are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes. The mandible, chin area and the implants are all three-dimensional structures, therefore the augmentation is three-dimensional. Patients do get a small amount of with added width to the frontal view when a chin implant is placed. For more information, diagrams of the implants themselves and many examples,  please see the link and the video below 

Selection of chin implant

Strong young male chin frequently appears a bit square on frontal view. There are chin implants specifically designed to achieve this look and to create additional chin projection. Your should discuss your options in this regard with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin

A receding chin may not look abnormal in a front view 2 dimensional photo. The appeance you get when looking into a mirror with both eyes open is more indicative of your need for and evaluation of a chin implant result.  

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon