After research of implant removal, I noticed so many women having the same illnesses from implants. Is this true?

I'm eight weeks postop and I am not happy with the size and would like my breast implants removed. After research of implant removal I noticed so many women having the same illnesses from implants. Is this true?! how can I ignore so many women with the same problems?

Illness

The only way to know is have your implants removed.  Breast implant removal should be performed with complete en bloc capsulectomy. The capsule should not be left in place or the space will not heal. In patients that believe that their implants are causing them illness, leaving the capsule behind will not result in any improvement in their symptoms.  After the explantation with capsulectomy is healed, you can develop an plan for further surgery if it is warranted and is safe from a technical standpoint.

Breast implant illness

There are several types of illnesses from defective breast implants.  Some patients with HLA types like B27 and DR53 become ill right away with autoimmune disease with any silicone exposure.  Some patients become ill later due to detoxification defects like COMT and MTHFR when the gel or texturing starts to leak or degrade.  Some patients become ill from mold biotoxins especially around textured implants or in or around saline implants as 25% of the population cannot get rid of mold biotoxins.  They develop fibromyalgia.  Mold biotoxins and yeast (100% of patients with defective silicone implants develop yeast) cause problems with T cell immunity so viruses, cancer, mold, yeast, viruses and parasites are more likely to develop.  Also intracellular infections like spirochetes and mycoplasma are more common.  All infections including bacterial capsule infections need to be treated as well as mold and yeast with antifungals. Patients also require immune and endocrine support and detoxification in order to regain their health.  This is a very complex illness in most cases that physicians do not understand as they lack the training and experience.  There is additional information online that is more detailed.

Susan Kolb, MD