Why does my nose look so different in one picture to the next?

Well, first off, I had rhinoplasty and the result is awful. But besides the obvious defects and asymmetries, why can my nose look like a completely different nose in one picture, and then an even different nose in a 3rd pic and so on. This phenomenon never occurred with my natural nose, at least not to this degree. Also, even tho my nose never looks good, in one photo it will look like it has defect A and B and in another photo it will portray defects C and D. It makes it hard to assess.

Greetings. There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Photo Variation

There are several things for you to consider:
  • It can take some time, months or even years, to become  familiar with and accustomed to a new nose.
  • When you see yourself in photographs, it is opposite to the way you see yourself in the mirror everyday.
  • Lighting, shadows, backround, angles, and camera settings can make photos of the same subject look different.

Photographic Variability

Variability in photographs can occur because of a number of factors.

Camera/lighting:  If you shoot with a different camera, the subject may appear a little differently. If you shoot with the same camera, the distance of the lens to the subject changes the curvature of the subject (parallax effect). Lastly, lighting can drastically change the appearance of a photo. 

Your nose:  If you just had surgery, your swelling may make your nose look a little different day-to-day. Also, if you have any deviations, your nose will look different from different angles.

Would be helpful to see some photos to give a more definitive answer for you.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

Photographic variability

There is always variation in photographs however most people do not notice it.  Once you have undergone a rhinoplasty you are more likely to be critical in evaluating your own photographs.  There is also a change on day to day basis with swelling that can change the shape of the nose .  Even if a rhinoplasty is revised there is a possibility that the photographs will continue to vary on different times.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon