Neck Lift Incision Under the Chin?

Why can't surgeons simply make an incision under the chin to access and tighten neck musculature in cases of Neck lift? I do not need a lower facelift; I just have a neck that does not match my face, due to cervical spondylosis. It surely cannot be too difficult to access and tie these loose muscles without drastic surgery. I look like a bullfrog at the moment, so Botox is unlikely to help me.

Neck Lift Can Be Done Through Chin Incision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If in fact you only have laxity or banding under your chin, correction or neck lift can be done through an incision beneath your chin.

A Corset Platysmaplasty is the name of this procedure.

Neck lift incisions under chin and/or around the ear

A minimal lift for the lower face and neck is a great option with the least downtime for facial rejuvenation. There are many minimally invasive facelift options for the neck and face, which go by several names: neck lift, s lift, mini lift, short scar lift, macs lift, SMAS, lunchtime lift, etc. These face lift surgery names are confusing. Technically, all these face lift procedures differ a little, but cosmetic results are the same.

The facelift incision may be anywhere from the temple & side burns, around the ear, and upper neck. The incision varies largely based on how much lift an individual needs. The plastic surgeon will minimize the incision but maximize the lift, without creating an unnatural appearance. The incision you describe should heal well. The face lift incision, when performed well, blends and hides from view.

Most face lift surgeries also have a supplemental incision under the chin. This chin incision is well hidden, and is used largely to access fat in the neck for liposuction, chin augmentation, or muscle tightening.

The cosmetic outcome of directly removing skin from the neck is poor. The aesthetic outcome of neck lifting is significantly better by pulling up and out around the ears. Patients are mostly unhappy tightening muscles of the neck via a chin incision without also performing face lift incisions around the ear.

More important than the specific incision or technique is the rapport and relationship you build with your plastic surgeon. He/She will be able to fully explain in-person the appropriate surgical option which is right for you, without a sales pitch or pressure.

Consultation with a face lift surgeon will provide you with a personalized face lift. Speak with more than one plastic surgeon regarding face lift surgery.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift incisions

Certan aspects of a neck lift can be approached from the area under the chin. I use this incision all the time. You have access to the submental fat and platysma bands so that they can be plicated and sometimes even cut. But, if there is a lot of loose skin, you have to remove it and that means incisions behind the ears.

A neck incision cannot tighten skin during a neck lift.

Although the platysma muscle can be tightened through a neck incision, there is extra skin that cannot be tightened just through the neck. Therefore, other incisions are necessary.  You need something else to tighten that neck skin.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Incision Under the Chin?

A necklift is not a singular procedure with a singular #method, but rather is an umbrella term describing a large range of operations with varying #incisions and skin-lifting #techniques, which have been developed and improved upon over the years.  Your board certified plastic surgeon will be familiar will be able to pair you with your perfect match of surgical approach based on your skin type and desired results.  
The type of necklift incision will depend upon your gender, your hairline and preferred hairstyles, any scars from previous surgeries, and a variety of other factors.  As a general rule, a #necklift #incision starts right in front of or within the hairline on the temple, follows the curve of the front of the ear, travels underneath the earlobe, and ends at the hairline behind the ear.  There are also shorter #scar techniques preferred by many patients, which do not have incisions in the hairline.  Some patients who wish to have liposuction or tightening of their neck will need an additional incision under their #chin, which can be hidden in a natural skin fold.

The #scars will mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. We find that scar reducing product, BioCorneum , appears to be very effective. 
If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Not as straightforward

Hi jacqui-f

Direct incision under the chin and front part of the neck can be performed to tighten your neck. Most people do not consider this procedure as it will leave a visible permanent scar on the front of the neck although it will fade within a few months.

There are other ways of tightening the neck from incisions in front of the earlobe and behind the ear to just deal with the neck along and not address the face. However although the scar will be well hidden the results won't be as effective as a direct incision over the  neck. This is suitable for selective individuals provided they are happy to have the scar.

This is routinely performed under local and allows the surgeon to tighten the muscle, remove extra fat and skin to provide a better contoured neck.

All the best with your surgery and have a look at my website for more info on my pioneering facelift.

Corset platysmaplasty

The corset platysmaplasty works perfectly to correct for platysma bands, subcutaneous and submuscular fat and a modest amount of skin excess. If you have lots of excess skin, then the procedure requires small incisions behind the ear, as well.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Neck lift incision is for excess fat removal

The neck lift incision is an operation designed for removing excess fat above and below the platysmal muscle in the neck. It sounds from the description that there may be excess skin, and the neck lift will do nothing for excess skin. If there is extra skin in the neck, it must be dealt with through a full face/neck lift.

Neck lift with chin only incision

In fact, it is very possibel to do what you describe.  This requires though that you have skin that will shrink since it is not being excised.  If the skin won't shrink well, then the ear incisions are required to remove it.