Downtime and Duration of Neck Lift Surgery?

I do not mind some lines and wrinkles but I HATE the chicken neck look I have! I am 62 years old and trying to grow old with some grace, but this trully bothers me. How much downtime can I expect from Neck Lift surgery? How long does the procedure last? I appreciate you responding. Thank you.

Nseck Lift Recovery Is 10 Days to Two Weeks Should Last 10 Years

Down time is the time it takes for bruising to resolve. You will be up and around the next day. Bruising can last two weeks.

The duration of the result depends on your skin quality and the quality of your result.

Younger patients with healthy thick skin and a good result can expect a 10 year result.

Patients with thin sun damaged fair skin can need revision as early as two years.

If your neck is tight at 3-6 weeks after surgery you should expect a long lasting result.

Neck lift Surgery Recovery Including Downtime and Surgery Duration.

I cannot tell how many times I have heard “I hate my chicken neck!” or something similar.  So many women take their fingers and push up at the sides of their neck, look in the mirror and say how much they would like to have that “lifted” neck back. The great news is that a neck lift can help and it is one of the higher satisfaction surgeries there are with a 95% rating on here on RealSelf.

Since everyone is different, each neck lift patient will recover from their neck lift surgery differently, the recovery from a neck lift can be surprisingly quick, especially if your surgeon uses a rapid recovery protocol.  A rapid recovery protocol includes a twilight combined with tumescent anesthesia, no drains, removal of the dressing the next day, hot showers the next day and up and around walking the next day.  I encourage my patients to get outside for a walk the next day and do not restrict activities like lifting or bending over.  Some work out fanatics have been back to the gym the next day on a spin bike or doing a light workout at home. 

With the rapid recovery neck lift method, my patients are generally able to get back to work within a week.  The big problem is usually the residual swelling that does not look bad but people who know you well will likely notice the swelling and hopefully an improvement in your appearance.  There will be bruising but this can always be covered up with makeup.  With this technique, you will not need any narcotics and all my patients ever use is some Aleve or something similar.

The duration of the surgery varies with what has to be done but usually, in my hands, a neck lift will take about 2 hours to complete.

You should love the results.  Everyone who has a neck lift in my practice is thrilled with their outcome.  The saggy neck is an aged look and correcting can be one of the best things you can do for your looks!

I hope that helps and if it does please give it and up vote at the top right at the "report' button.  Thanks.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Neck lifting performed under general anesthesia and it takes to perform the procedure nearly 40-60 minutes. You will be advised not to eat 6 hours before the surgery and that is all! You will get a physical examination by your surgeon and anesthetist. After the examination; we will prepare you for the surgery. You will receive a sedation in order to reduce the preoperative anxiety and fell yourself more comfortable.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Surgery Downtime and Duration

Thank you for your question.  Typically Neck Lift procedure will take approximately 2 hours, however if combined with other procedures such as neck lipo, platysmaplasty or facelift, which is very common, this time can be extended.  The procedure should have the longevity of 7-12 years.  Recovery would normal be 10-14 days (however can be dependant from patient to patient). Please seek a certified board plastic surgeon which you can have a one to one consultation to discuss desired results, see before and after pictures and ask many questions.  
All The Best 

Necklifts

The tried and true way to remove excess folds of skin on the neck is solely through a necklift. The results will be what you want because that extra skin will disappear. A neck lift can be completed in 1 hour to 3 hours, depending on the specific patient requirements. At the end of 1 week, the stitches will come out, and most patients find that they can return to normal activities by Week 2 after the surgery.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Recovery

Thank you for your question! Downtime from a neck lift is generally 1-2 weeks. The duration depends on the type of neck lift performed and the patient's own tissue characteristics. In general though it can be expected to last 8-10 years. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Chicken Neck Correction

Recovery time from a neck lift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a face lift and or  neck lift are noticeable at first, but are easily hidden with a bit of “camouflage” make-up which make-up experts can teach you to do.
The scars from a facelift/neck lift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. Other procedures may also be indicated such as skin resurfacing, medical skin care, find wrinkle treatment, etc.

Improvement lasts forever and you will always look better than if you never had surgery while the hands of time tick on, your clock will always be set back a number of years.

Neck Lift Recovery

Neck lift recovery varies from patient to patient and depends on a large number of variables.  These include the wound healing characteristics of the patient and the type of procedure performed.

Most patients feel pretty good in about four to five days, but their primary concerns are when they will look good enough to go out in public.  Recovery following neck lift surgery may last for months, but most patients feel they can go out in public in about two weeks.  At this point, most of the bruising and swelling have resolved.

It’s important to emphasize that recovery periods are variable and depend not only on the patients would healing characteristics and the surgical technique utilized, but also on the patients tolerance for changes that may occur following neck lift surgery.

It’s also important to realize that neck lifts turn the clock back, but don’t stop the clock form ticking.  Most surgeons will tell you that the procedure will generally last about ten years.

Necklift Recovery and Duration

The Neck Lift involves minimal post-operative discomfort and downtime. Pain medication is prescribed, but it is unlikely it will be needed for more than a day or two following your procedure. Most patients return to work or social activities ten to fourteen days after surgery. Strenuous physical exercise should be avoided for four to six weeks following a neck lift as it can trigger swelling. You will continue to age, however a necklift is long lasting and should last approximately 10 years.  Best of luck! Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Recovery and Duration

Downtime from a neck lift tends to be to be 1 to 2 weeks.  Duration of a neck lift is generally seven to 10 years.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS