I have a very weak side profile. I don't simply want a large chin but rather a nice jaw line as well. (photos)

What procedure do I Need? Ive been to different surgeons willing to put a chin in place. However, I am aiming for a square jaw with more depth at my chin. It almost seems recessive. All surgeons I have seen dont really listen while trying to explain and just want to put a large chin on me. I feel like my face from an anterior aspect is strong - however - side profile is quite weak. Thoughts?

Jaw Augmentation, Not Just Chin Augmentation Desired.

You are right, a chin implant alone will not give you what you want. However, placing mandibular implants is more involved and a minority of plastic surgeons do this procedure, e.g., Dr. Oscar Ramirez in Baltimore. You might have better luck if you look for one of the university-based craniofacial surgeons.  These are individuals who sometimes have DDS, MD and oral surgery backgrounds.

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Weak Side Profile

Hi scarymerry,
Based from the aesthetic proportion of the face, you have a slight forward projection deficiency of the chin, and it seems from the photos that the projection of your nose tip is also relatively longer than your nose lip distance (the distance from the base of your columella to the vermillion border of your upper lip), making your nose look over projected. For side profile, a chin implant will definitely help, while the possibility of using a jaw implant can also be considered but this needs personal evaluation.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jawline Augmentation

While your chin is horizontally short as you know you also have a high and somewhat narrow jaw angle region. Without changing the jawline behind the chin any chin augmentation procedure will just make the jawline discrepancy more apparent. While some chin augmentation has a role you need jaw angle implants to complement any chin changes for an overall jawline enhancement effect.

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin implant and neck liposuction

In general, facial profile can be improved with the use of a chin implant and neck liposuction. This combination of procedures tends to produce a refined and elongated jawline 

Chin Augmentation to Balance profile

Dear scarymerry, I am not sure if during any of your past consultations any of the surgeons used digital imaging to show you the proposed changes chin augmentation would provide. If not I suggest seeking consultation and have imaging performed this will show you how chin augmentation will balance your profile nicely as well as your overall facial aesthetics. I personally would most likely also recommend some sub-mental liposuction to provide a more defined jawline. See the video above and examples in the link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin Implant

Thank you for your question and photos.Based off of your side profile your chin does appear to be weak. A chin implant could help with this to give you a stronger profile. Begin with consultations with board certified plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons. Be sure you seek surgeons who have done at least 100 of these procedures per year. Computer imaging can show you what can be done to give you the look you are striving for. Your plastic surgeon should be able to guide you throughout the process.Wish you all the best,Dr. Henry Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Weak side profile. I don't simply want a large chin but rather a nice jaw line as well.

Hi, based upon the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  From the photos, your chin is weak as are the mandibular angles and there is excess facial fat and skin below the chin.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.
  • Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.
Hope this helps.

Chin surgery and liposuction

In reviewing your photos, I think that you would benefit from chin augmentation (chin implant or genioplasty) and simultaneous submental liposuction. Kybella is another option to remove the submental fat. The idea is to increase the projection of your chin and give you a well defined jawline by performing liposuction. These 2 procedures work well together.

Size and shape of chin implant should be carefully selected

There is no doubt that you will benefit from chin augmentation/shaping with implant. This can be achieved with selection of appropriate implant that will address both size and shape of your chin. Implants come in an array of shapes and sizes and they should be available for demonstration in the office of the surgeon who performs this type of surgery.You should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with good reputation in facial implants and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon