Why do doctors need my address, date of birth etc? What happens if I lie about something? Like my name or address.

Do doctors need this info so they can collect their money if you stop making payments? I am definitely NOT trying to get away with not paying. I will actually be paying everything up front. Rather, I am concerned with two things. Junk Mail and Gossip. One PS I had a consultation with has since sent tons of junk mail to my house! The other PS that I plan to see is an acquaintance of one of my coworkers. Since the procedure I want is embarrassing (male breast reduction) I don't want word to spread

Concerns providing personal information

Medical privacy is a matter office it should take seriously.  It is best to discuss this concern with your surgeons office prior to giving information though it is usually only used for billing purposes #surgery #personalinformation  

Privacy Issues

Hi PatrickT

Thank you for your post and sorry that you have any concerns about privacy.

A good, reputable and registered surgeon should NOT ever give out your details to any third party. If they do you can complain to the body in your area that deals with that kind of thing.

First and formost you should be able to trust the person you are dealing with, so maybe find one that you feel completely comfortable.

All the best 

Financial information

I recommend that you discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon. Confidentiality is something medical professionals take seriously. Financial policies are unique for each practice and you will have to discuss your specific financial arrangements with your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Information

Thank you for the question and NO information collected from a patient can be circulated in any form without permission from the patient.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Identifying information

I ask all my patients to present photo identification.  You absolutely have the right to request that no marketing information be sent to you and we ask you to tell us your preferred method of contact.  My office staff and I take your privacy very seriously and so does the law.  The Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) does not allow your doctor or his or her staff to disclose information about you to anyone. This covers all medical practices.  To do so is a violation of federal law.  Please be honest about your identity with your doctor.  Talk to him or her about your concerns up front.  Gynecomastia is an extremely common concern among men and while I understand your need for discretion, it is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Personal information

In this era of identity theft and insurance fraud, all patients must present photo id. This is required by all the hospitals as well, lest you think that you can "lie" about this. In my practice, if a patient isn't willing to disclose this basic information, then I would not be willing to operate on them. In terms of receipt of marketing materials, you can request that these not be sent. HIPAA protects against disclosure of information and all medical office staff should be trained on the seriousness of the issues involved.

Patient Privacy

It is your right to ask for the office to not contact you via mail or email.  If you have a certain preference on the way to reach you let them know.  In our office we have every patient sign a HIPAA patient privacy act.  This protects the patient of their privacy.  Most medical offices are trained on patient privacy laws and they understand how important this matter is.