5 months ago I had Z-Plasty & geometric broken line revision on facial scar. Eyes are more asymmetrical. What can I do? (Photo)

Since the surgery it feels like the left side of my face is pulling up. The left eyebrow is significantly higher than the right. I had a Skype consultation about a month ago and was told that the asymmetries were existing. I can appreciate some asymmetries were there but I feel they are accentuated now. What can be done to fix this? How challenging is a corrective procedure? Should I go back to the same surgeon? I greatly appreciate any advice.

Scar therapy on the forehead

You would benefit from scar modulation with Plato's Scar Serum, fractional lasers, ematrix RF, and massage therapy to soften your scars. Mild Kenalog IIT may also help.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Scar maturing

Great question.  Often times, after a scar revision such as what you had, you need to give it time to let the scar fully mature before assessing any need for any further work.  To be honest, you look great and at five months, things are settling in nicely.  That being said, with the previous scar that you had, the amount of tissue that needed to be removed and brought back together to accomplish a GBL is a fair amount - so excising a fair amount of scar tissue, and then breaking up tension with a GBL will create scar and tension under the skin that will take at least a year to fully mature (and sometimes up to a year and a half).  Anytime I do a GBL or a running W plasty in the forehead I always let my patients know that the initial tightness and pulling will continue to improve over the coming year or so.  I would tell you that at this point pressure massage along the length of the GBL with either a rolling scar away gel or simply with vitamin E oil will help soften the scar, release tension and improve how quickly it matures.  Everyone has different post operative regimens though.  I would suggest continuing the contact with your surgeon, keeping him in touch, and if things continue to bother you after a year or so, then consider moving forth (where you can do lasers, etc to polish things completely).  Honestly, the last thing you want or need right now is any further work that will continue to prolong your end result.  I hope some of this helps.  Best of luck.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon