I have a 15 year old scar on my upper lip from a dog bite. Is there a possibility of having it completely gone? (photo)

How can I remove a scar and who do I need to consult? Do scar way sheets work on, mederma, etc or is there a procedure I would have to have done?

Doctor Answers 5

Lip scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your lip cars are completely healed and will not improve with any maneuvers; What I would recommend is considering medical tattooing of your fully matured and healed scars to camouflage them. A consultation would be necessary with a medical tattoo expert to provide you a definitive recommendation.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 99 reviews

Lip scar revision after a dog bite

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Our office specializes in dog bites and lip scars. I would begin with application of Plato's Scar Serum and fractional lasers; Ultimately, your son may need a scar revision surgery with plastic surgery.Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Scar on Face -- Lasers (Fraxel, Co2, Erbium), Microneedling/PRP, Subcision, Fillers, Tattooing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Lasers, subcision, fillers and tattooing can improve this.  Please see an expert for treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 204 reviews

You might also like...

Scar on lip removal?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
there is no product to put on this that will make the scar better. Scars cannot be erased but the width or elevation can be changed. The scar can be placed along the junction of the white and red of your lip to make it less conspicuous. See a very experienced facial  plastic or plastic surgeon for the best results. 

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

How can I remove a scar and who do I need to consult?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Scarring is one of our most common concerns as plastic surgeons, both for traumatic injuries like yours or for post operative incisional scarring. After 15 years, the scar is not going to change very much. The unfortunate fact is that once there has been an injury (including surgical incisions) there is going to be a permanent scar. Sometimes we try to hide these scars in inconspicous places like behind the hairline or behind the ear. In your case, that is not an option.  None of the preparations your mentioned are going to help at this time. The best option is probably surgical. A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon should be your first stop. The scar can not be "erased" or removed but there are methods your surgeon can use to improve the appearance of the scar, decrease the size, and help make it less conspicuous by placing it in line with normal structures and natural lines. I wish you the best of luck. 

Bram Kaufman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.