Best option for chicken pox scar in a forehead line? (Photo)

My chicken pox dent has bothered me since I was 14 and now it's nestled in a forehead line. What is the best way to deal with this and where? I don't know if I should see a dermatologist, plastic surgeon or med spa! Or all three ;-)

Doctor Answers 4

Treating a chicken pox scar on the forehead

There are a few options for you. If the scar can be hidden/disappear by stretching the skin, this suggests that putting a little filler into the scar can help fill it out nicely. Otherwise, subcision or laser resurfacing can be tried, or punch excision. Best to have a dermatologist properly assess your scar and review options specifically for you.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 50 reviews

Best option for chicken pox scar

The first and simplest thing to try is a dermal filler. Physical properties of fillers differ, so it's important to select the correct one. In your case, I would probably recommend Restylane or Belotero. Since Restylane is available in a 0.5 cc syringe, that will be your most cost effective solution. BTW, there are no FDA approved fillers for use in this area, so it will be an off-label use. If further improvement is desired, a series of 3-5 Fraxel (or similar 1550nm) laser treatments will help blend the edges. As for dermatologist, plastic surgeon or medspa, the forehead is not a place to poke needles without a pretty thorough knowledge of facial anatomy. I'd suggest dermatologist or plastic surgeon if you're just interested in filler. If laser or other skin treatments are desired, dermatologist. Regardless, do your homework on the physician you choose.

Sue Ellen Cox, MD
Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Fractional lasers and ematrix RF for your chicken pox scars.

I would suggest a combination of ematrix RF, subcision, fractional lasers, and fillers for your chicken pox scars on the forehead. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Best option for chicken pox scar in a forehead line?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.  Based on your picture alone I would recommend placement of Botox into your forehead to help smooth your wrinkles and then a combination of subcision and filler placement underneath your chicken pox scar to help even the dent to the surrounding skin. Hope this helps.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.