Will my Dermatitis Leave a Permanent Mark/Scar? (photo)

Hi :) 8 weeks ago I went through a tummy-tuck and gynecomastia (liposuction only.) operation. I wore a compression vest for about 5 weeks, which is now thought to have caused some kind of dermatitis on my chest. (contact?) At first, it was "under" the skin and eventually "burst" out and surfaced. I was subscribed Elocom for 10 days, twice a day; The "redness" and itching subsided, but there's still a brown/reddish patch. Will this patch ever go away? Will the pigmentation disappear? Thanks :)

Dermatitis after gynecomastia

Yikes.  I get itchy just looking at your photos.  I'm glad you are getting better.  My guess is that your pigmentation will return to normal but it could take awhile.  I recommend you stay in close contact with your surgeon and also to avoid sun exposure like the plague while your skin is still inflamed.  UV could permanently darken the inflamed area.

Discoloration should go away

Your skin discoloration from the dermatitis should go away. It may take several months. Follow-up with your plastic surgeon as he/she may be able expedite the process for you, and he/she will want to follow it as well. 

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Managing Scars from Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting.