Gynecomastia Gone Wrong. What to Do? (photo)

I had a Gynecomastia late last year and the results are everything but satisfactory. My left side is larger/fatter than the other side, the skin is stuck to the chest on my right side. My left side is deeper than the other side which you can't see it on the photos. What can be done about it?

Doctor Answers 8

Revision Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi babanata,

Thanks for the post and photos.  You likely had a preoperative asymmetry as well with the left side being larger and/or having looser skin. If there is skin redundancy you will likely need excision of the skin. If there is just fullness on the lower left breast without skin redundancy then liposuction may be the best option. If by your left side being deeper you mean there is cratering, then perhaps a fat flap or fat grafting would be the best option. In any event, you would need to be evaluated in person in order to develop a surgical plan.


Dr. Dadvand

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Gynecomastia Gone Wrong. What to Do? (photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Revision surgery is a possibility.  Judging from the photo, you have redundant skin folding over the inframammary fold.  In my practice, I would suggest a periareolar skin excision.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for more details.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

Gynecomastia revision?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is possible that you might be a candidate for a revision if you are unhappy with the result. Reviewing pre-op photos would be helpful and an in-office exam would be necessary. Good luck.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Dissatisfaction with gynecomastia result

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your procedure can be revised.  Discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Chest asymmetry can exascerbate the impression of a differential between the breasts as well.

Revisionary gynecomastia surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

At times, secondary liposuction procedures will even out the result.  Perhaps, the redraping of the skin with the lipo cannulae will be helpful.  Failure to obtain skin shrinkage will necessitate another surgery.  Please seek an opinion from a plastic surgeon. 

H. Michael Roark, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Revision of Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A gynecomastia revision surgery can be performed to improve the areas of your concern. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon for a formal examination and to go over your options.

Leo Lapuerta, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 48 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have many problems that require an experienced surgeon to correct. You will need a release of the scars, possible fat grafts and liposuction to the areas that still make you uneven.

You need a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon(American Board of Plastic Surgery)

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

When to Consider Gynecomastia Surgery Revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.