Post-Blepharoplasty abscess/cyst/infection/pus? (Photos)

It has been about 3 weeks post-op and I developed these cysts above my crease.. The doctor used dissolvable stitches and occasionally, pressing down on the cyst will produce pus that comes out from a section on the crease. I am unable to see mt surgeon for a while since he is in a different city and also om vacation. What should I do? Would the local clinic prescribe antibiotics if I went for a walk-in visit? I am very worried...

Suture granuloma

You most likely have a suture granuloma which is an inflammation around the buried suture.  Sometimes a short course of antibiotics by mouth and warm compresses can help.  If it doesn't resolve then it can be excised. 

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post-Blepharoplasty Infection

It is very rare to develop an abscess after a blepharoplasty. A common issue is inflammation that develops, in reaction to the suture material. This can be managed by removing the suture or injecting the area with steroids. But with pus in the area, the best bet is to make sure any residual suture material is removed first. I would make an effort to see your surgeon, and if unable then see an oculoplastic surgeon in your area.

Dan Landmann, MD
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Problems with Dissolving sutures

This is a really common scenario that I see in patients  who come to me for second opinions. These lumps are due to buried dissolvable sutures which always cause a degree of inflammation as they dissolve, and you seem to have had a vigorous inflammatory reaction. Depending on what was used this can take up to several months to resolve. If you are patient, these are likely to settle, but it can take a while.  Another option would be to excise them. Go back and see your surgeon and press him/her on what might be going on and what the options for treatment might be. Antibiotics may help  if there is superimposed infection, but this sounds more inflammatory.

Daniel Ezra, MD, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon

The antibiotics sound very appropriate.

You need to have this cyst excised.  Absorbable and nonabsorbale sutures are foreign bodies and can become infected and go through a process called spitting which is focal issue inflammation that has the function of ejecting the stitch from the body.  While this is a normal process, it can be alarming and is uncomfortable.  Occasionally it is associated with a wide tissue infection.  See your surgeon or find a local oculoplastic surgeon for definitive care.

Seek immediate follow up

Please see an oculoplastic surgeon soon.  The worry is an abscess. I would culture the wound to rule out an atypical mycobacterial infection.

Michael A. Burnstine, MD