What is a Biltmore Lift?

I have had a consultation with a board certified Doctor. A Biltmore Lift was not discussed. I have seen women on real self talk about this lift and I'm just curious about what it is.

It's Really a Marketing Tool

The confusion surrounding various facelift techniques often stems from marketing phrases that attempt to brand a certain type of procedure. The name isn't as important as what actually occurs during surgery and whether it will produce the results an individual patient wants. In this case, a Biltmore Lift is simply a minimally-invasive facelift that may be fine for some patients. But it will not match the transformative results that a surgical procedure can provide, such as a SMAS facelift.

Biltmore Lift

The displayed results for the Biltmore lift are very good.  I would not get focused on the name, but more on the results.  When surgeons use names for a comprehensive procedure, it is most commonly done to represent the comprehensive nature of the surgeries and to distinguish the results from the usual or negative results seen from other surgeons.  Good Luck.

The Biltmore Facelift?

The Biltmore Facelift is one of many surgical procedures that has been trademarked or branded. This is a marketing tactic that can be confusing to prospective patients. The best way to select a plastic surgeon to perform a facelift is to check education and credentials of any plastic surgeon you are considering and view many of their before and after images. Look closely at incision sites, hairline, the shape of the ears as yoiu evaluate photos. The results of a facelift can and should look natural. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Beware the brand name

The Biltmore Lift is one of dozens of variations of the mini-facelift.  Some surgeons/corporations put a brand name on their favorite technique, but it's mostly a marketing gimmick with few, if any real innovations.  Most competent plastic surgeons have the skill and knowledge of a variety of techniques, which enables them to produce quality, individualized results without giving them a brand name.  

What's in a name?

Facelift surgeons love to name their specific combination of techniques. This is for marketing purposes and does not indicate any particular clinical efficacy or specific utility to a given patient. In your consultation, please inquire about the technique: what is lifted? where are the incisions? how is the neck treated? etc. This will be much more valuable than requesting a surgery by it's marketed name. Take care and best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Biltmore lift

kittygirl4156, it is a marketing ploy similar to what I call a "Signature Lift". It is simply a short flap facelift; been around for decades. Forget about the name; when it comes to your facelift see a surgeon that does "only faces" and is familiar with deep plane techniques and does them routinely. Look through their web site and make sure you like their photos. Make sure they are specialist and have decades of experience. Search the Internet. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini-lifts give mini results

In our practice, we rarely ever performed a mini lift, since they give mini results. It is very important to look at  the surgeon's results in the before and after  photo gallery to get an idea what can be accomplished by that particular surgeon, and not listen to a marketing gimmick. In our practice, we perform a high- SMAS  lower face and neck lift, which involves tightening loose facial and neck muscles, tightening loose facial and neck skin, removing fatty deposits in the neck, lifting the jowls to perform a natural appearing comprehensive rejuvenation of the face and neck. For many examples and more information, please see link and the video below.

Biltmore Lift

This a "name" assigned to a form of short scar "mini-lift" that a surgeon uses in an attempt to market it as something unique. While there is nothing "wrong" with this patients need to understand it. In my opinion, the basic "mini face lift" provides a mini amount of lift for a mini amount of money with a mini amount of scar for a mini amount of time in the majority of patients. I do think there is a small subset of patients who can benefit though often times they can be adequately improved with less invasive means such as skilled use of fillers and Botox like products.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Limited Facelift

Like many forms of limited facelifts, doctors have placed their own marketing and branded names on them. It is no surprise than that that this 'mini-facelift' technique is done by a plastic surgeon who lives in an area that would be closest to this name. Even if your doctor discussed the exact same type of facelift procedure he/she would have has no reason to mention it by this marketed name. While there can be very subtle differences in limited facelift procedures there are no magical differences between any of them.

That is a new one to me, There are so many branded or catchphrase names for facelifts such as lifestyle, quick lift, afternoon left, lunchtime lift, now Biltmore lift, they are all words  meant to fool patients into believing that it is something new and unique to that specific surgeon. Most real board-certified plastic surgeon's will not resort to these type of names if they are a good surgeon and produce good quality  results. I think that evaluating the specific surgeon and their outcomes and if they seem to have a good understanding of what you're trying to accomplish is your best bet. I would avoid someone who needs to hide behind a false name.Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon