4 months post face and neck lift, my neck is coming apart. There was no incision under chin. What can be done? (Photo)

4 months post face and necklift. Neck is coming loose. Ears are still hurting at times. Plastic surgeon doesn't want to hear it. He has been paid. What can be done?

Discuss Concerns With Surgeon

I’m sorry that you're disappointed in the results of your facelift. You need to schedule an appointment with your plastic surgeon, because only he or she knows the specific details of your case and the technique used. I can offer some possible reasons for the appearance of your neck, but without knowing exactly what your surgeon did and without an in-person evaluation, please understand that it is only educated speculation. It's possible that residual fluid pooled in the neck, as others have mentioned. Other possibilities include fatty tissue that your surgeon may not have removed, sagging submandibular glands, or simply loose skin or muscle that was left unaddressed in your procedure. Revision surgery may be needed, but I suggest waiting a few more months to see if these issues resolve on their own. You'll need to wait a bit longer before it's safe to move forward with additional surgery anyway. Good luck.

Persistent Swelling After Face and Neck Lift

Dear Leisa1,
It is difficult to tell with just seeing your pictures, but I agree that conservative measures should be employed for another two months before considering revisional surgery. It looks to me like you have persistent swelling there and a very dilute concentration of steroid can be injected into that subcutaneous fat to help with the swelling as well as vigorous massage to try to get this to redrape. If by six months, however, it has not improved then I would advocate you have a revision. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Facelift issues 4 months post-op

Thank you for the question and the photos. At 4 months, a lot of the healing has occurred -- but you may not be completely done. Generally, I recommend waiting until about 6 months before considering any kind of revision or tweak. From the photos, it looks like you may need some submental work -- liposuction for the residual fat and a platysmaplasty for the bands. Depending on how much skin excess remains afterward, this may need to be removed behind the ears. For now, however, please follow up closely with your surgeon. If he won't see you, please visit a board certified surgeon for a second opinion.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift - neck not looking right after 4 months

• Thank you for your question about your face lift.
  • Start by letting your surgeon see you -
  • Wait another 2 months -
  • Then  discuss with your surgeon what might be needed to improve the result.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
    Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Neck Irregularities

Thanks for the question, 

I always find that as you heal, the fluid follows gravity. The neck, particularly under the chin often holds the fluid the longest and can stay swollen for some time. 

After the fluid goes away, there can be irregularities that are temporary, but it is impossible at this point based on your images to know this. 

Its best to see your surgeon and follow the instructions. Rushing into a new surgery is likely not ideal untill a good amount of time has past. 

Hopefully things will improve, 

Dr James Bonaparte

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

4 months after face and neck lift, neck has undesirable appearance: options?

I would certainly go back to your surgeon as your first step.  It looks like you have irregularities due to either delayed resolution of a fluid collection underneath your neck with residual scarring underneath the skin, or irregularities due to liposuction.  In either case, irregularities can sometimes be improved with steroid injections, and/or massage, and fat grafting once the tissues are soft. If your issues do not resolve over the next several months...and it is quite possible they will not, then a revision to the neck lift would  be indicated once the tissues are soft.  Usually I would recommend waiting 12 months.

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #BOTOX #tmbcosmeticsurgery

Dear Leisa1

Thank you for your question and photos!  There is healing that takes place for 6 months up to a year and a half.  Please follow up with your surgeon.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Wait, then consider revision

You should wait two months before considering surgical revision. Conservative measures may help. If not, there may be adhesions in the middle and excess tissue on each side which could be scar tissue, organized fluid, or muscle redundancy resulting from the vector pulls used in your lift. It appears that you might have had some work done through a midline incision but your doctor would be the best person to answer that question.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time to start thinking about a revision

the irregularities under your chin look as if the skin didnt heal smoothly and you have develope scar attachements between the skin and underlying tissues that are creating that irregular look

you could wait a littleonger, perhaps a total of 6 months from surgery, but ultimately, I think that scar tissue will need to be surgcially released
best of luck

Facelift post op

Looks as if some liposuction may have been done as part of the procedure and there is some irregularity in the fat removal.  This has just presented itself because the surrounding expected post op swelling has subsided.  You should probably give it another 2-3 months but if you are still concerned then I would likely talk with your surgeon about revision liposuction.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon