Should You Moisturize After a Chemical Peel or Not?

I heard that moisturizing may delay the peeling process Oh I have one more question too, how are chemical peels on the body different than they are on the face.

Moisturizing after Chemical Peels

Yes, I most definitely recommend moisturizing after a chemical peel. My aestheticians in my office will apply moisturizer on after they do the chemical peel treatment on you. If you are doing it for acne reason or have oily skin we can use an oil free moisturizer. We customize every treatment to the patients skin needs. Depending on the strength of the peel you may have peeling. In this case you want to avoid picking the skin off and always use SPF!

Best Moisturizer after a chemical peel

Our office specializes in chemical peels. The effects of chemical peels on the skin take effect right away. Moisturizing the skin after a chemical peel will not detract from the results. After a chemical peel, we have patients apply a ceramide based cream known as Elevase Moisture Booster. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Moisturizing After a Chemical Peel

Moisturizing the skin after a chemical peel procedure should be part of the process of overall skin care — the reason you probably had a peel in the first place. If your provider did not review a skin care routine, go over the proper pre- and post-peel care, then I suggest that you find another provider. A skin care specialist under the auspices of a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon is your best bet here. Skin care, and moisturizing, post chemical peel is a must.

Chemical peels on the body are different than on the face because the skin on different parts of the body are different — thinker in some areas and heal differently than what we normally have for the face. These should only be done under the care of a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Moisturizing after chemical peels is very beneficial in most cases.

Moisturizing after peels is very helpful except if you are doing it as an acne treatment.  Acne skin is very oily and the excess moisturizer can worsen acne in many cases.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Moisturize after chemical peel?

Dear client,

Moisturizing your skin following your peel is actually a good thing. Desquamation is a normal response your skin should have following a chemical peel, and applying moisturizer will camouflage any peeling skin. Body peels and face peels may have different acid percentages all depending on what kind of peel you are doing. I would consult with a physician to determine what kind of peel is best for you .

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD, FRCSC
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Hydration After Chemical Peel Important

I recommend to all my chemical peeling patients that they observe strict sun avoidance and hydrate the skin with bland emollients after having the peel.  Depending on the type and severity of the peel, I have specific post-peel skincare regimens.  It is also very important not to pick at peeling skin and to avoid harsh protects such as glycolic acid or RetinA until the skin has healed.  For people who are acne prone, they should still hydrate with moisturizers, but preferably with a lighter, non-comedogenic moisturizer that is not going to clog pores or exacerbate breakouts. 

Moisturize after the peel

You should moisturize as much as you can after doing a peel for photo aging. It does nothing to change the process, just makes it look like it isn't peeling as much

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist