What went wrong with voluma xc ??? (photos)

Please can you tell me what is wrong with voluma xc injections on cheekbones?? I had one 1ml on each side since October 2 2015 Today is been 14 days and did not smooth out yet Is it the injector or the products?

What went wrong with voluma xc ?

Dear FadiaEid,
Thank you so much for your question and photos. the Juvederm Voluma that was injected is clearly visible across your upper cheek. At this time, you need to return to your injector and have it removed with hyaluronidase injections. It may take more than one hyaluronidase injection due to the fact that Voluma is a little harder to dissolve. Then, when you have returned to baseline, find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is experienced in injections with this very "technical" filler. You should be able to achieve a beautiful result with the right amount of filler in the right place.
Good luck.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

What went wrong with voluma xc ???

You should go back to the doctor who injected you to discuss the results and your concerns.  Perhaps, it was injected too high up and not enough filler was placed lower down in the cheek to give it a more round appearance (keep in mind pictures can be somewhat deceiving).

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

2 Weeks Post Voluma Injections

Based on your photos, I would recommend returning to your injector.  If you are happy with the volume, I would suggest adding more Voluma to even out the contour.  You also always have the option of the dissolving the product as well.  Best of luck!

Voluma Gone Wrong

The problem is likely not the Voluma itself but the injection technique.  Voluma should be injected to cover the entire cheek so that results are smooth and not lumpy or ridgy.  In the upper cheek it should be injected deep on top of the bone.  Injections that are too superficial can give a lumpy appearance.  You should go back to see your injector.  If they can't help you, you should seek out an experienced Voluma injector who should be able to provide a pleasing result.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Uneven cheeks

Hi, your cheeks have a little too much placed superficially and laterally.

Usually it is best placed deep on the bone to allow the soft tissue to re-draped.

This is more anterior and medial to where yours appears to have been placed.

Indeed it may be advisable to dissolve some of the lateral filler if this remains problematic.

Do not be disheartened, you will need more filler to blend in what has already been injected, you should still be able to achieve an excellent result.
 Please see a board certified physician with expertise in facial rejuvenation.

Best Wishes for a great result

Peter Laniewski, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Results and Happiness

The results are just uneven and there is inadequate amount of filler placed.  You need more centrally and medially, to give you more of a nice rounded curve apperance rather than "structured."  Please see an expert in facial contouring.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Filler is an Art

Agreed, this is poorly placed filler.  Voluma can have a beautiful, subtle effect when placed properly.  You need to see a more experienced injector to have this fixed.  You will likely need some Hyaluronidase injjected to dissolve some of the filler that is there, and need some more put in the apples of the cheeks for balance.  This will need to be done at different visits.  Good luck!

What went wrong with voluma xc ???

There are several possible explanations for the irregularity of your cheek. I have seen this happen in people with thin soft tissue over the cheek or with product that is not placed right on top of the cheekbone. The issue is that there isn't enough soft tissue to camouflage and soften the appearance of the Voluma. Some of the product can be dissolved with hyaluronidase and a small amount of additional Voluma can be placed to create a more natural contour for you. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Gone Wrong

By 2 weeks most of the swelling should have gone down, so your unwanted results are probably a combination of the filler being injected too superficially and not over the entire cheek. Please follow up with your injector so that he/she may evaluate you and take the necessary steps to improve it. Best of luck.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

The problem is not the Voluma but the injector

This is a problem with the injector not properly injecting. There is too much in too small an area of the cheek. It needs to be feathered out and distributed along the entire cheek and midface. You need to see a more experienced injector to straighten things out. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD