How does Voluma spread out beneath the skin when using a needle compared to a cannula? (Photo)

I had two syringes of Voluma - one in each cheek a year ago and a few months ago boticed it was wearing off. I was pleased with the effect as he used a canula. I went to a different doctor this time around and she used a needle to inject. but About 5 days after the swelling went down my cheeks seemed to go back to normal. Is this common? How does Voluma spread beneath the skin needle bs canula? Which is better for apples of cheek volume loss? How many syringes do i need - confused

Needles vs Cannula for Voluma

Using cannulas reduces the risk of bruising as well as the possibility of intravascular injections so typically it is a safer way to inject fillers. I do you both needles and cannulas depending on the effect I need with the filler and the location that I am injecting.  It is unlikely that the Voluma is gone after 5 days, but it is possible that the product was placed in positions different from the physician that you previously had inject your cheeks and that has given you a different look.  I would suggest sticking with the physician who gave you the result you like. This is art with your face and with expensive products- best to stick with where you got the result you liked.
I hope this helps,
Dr. Quenby Erickson

Voluma and Cheek Injections

The choice of a cannula versus a needle should not effect the placement of the product significantly.  It would really depend on how much product was used and where it was placed.  I would return to your treating physician for assessment.

The choice for needle vs cannula is one of choice by the physician.  Both deliver the product to the tissues the same way.  The cannula is thought to do less tissue damage.

If you feel that you did not get results and that your cheeks have gone back to normal in five days, go and ask your doctor to look at your "before" photos if they were taken.  On numerous occasions, with my own patients, they are shocked to see how subtle but excellent the results are.  You're not supposed to look like you had a major change.  You are supposed to look refreshed, relaxed, and younger.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Needle VS Cannulas

When injecting Voluma filler the risks of brushing and accidental injection of the filler into a blood vessel is reduced but should have no affect the way the filler localizes in the area it is injected. The filler should be injected in small bolus for it to have a better result and longevity.

How many syringes depends on your facial structure and deficit. 

Good luck

Voluma -- Needles Versus Cannulas

I like using cannulas for the majority of my injections as it gives less complications however, there should be no difference in results as the material is placed the same with both needle and cannula.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cannula or Needle for Voluma

Both techniques should render similar results if performed with the same intention.  By that I mean, that in general terms, the results should be the same. Needle or Cannula techniques are simply that, a means by which your physician  has chosen to inject the product.  The trials for FDA approval for volume were all needle based. 

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma - Injection techniques

Thank you for your question regarding whether there is a difference in the results when using a cannula or a needle. There should be no difference in the results whatsoever. With a  skilled and meticulous Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon, there should be hardly any bruising or swelling with the needle technique, provided you have been off your NSAID's and Fish Oils etc for 2 weeks prior. Longevity of the product is not related to needle vs. cannula, rather it depends mainly upon the plane of deposition. (It needs to be placed on the periosteum of the zygoma -cheek bone - to last.) It also depends upon the person, if they engage in a lot of aerobic activity and have a high metabolism, they will go through their filler more quickly than other people.
With regards to how many syringes you would need, it is very hard to tell with only seeing a partial view of your face. It looks like  possibly one syringe Voluma  (maybe two) with some feathering of Sculptra inferior to that for a smooth transition to the lower zones. Make sure the Board Certified facial Plastic Surgeon you choose is very experienced and well versed with Facial Contouring techniques and correct location placement of fillers.

I hope this helps !
Best of Luck in your quest!
Dr. Anna Petropoulos, 
Boston's North Shore

Anna Petropoulos, MD, FRCS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon