How long after Lower Blepharoplasty can I fly?

I am planning to have a lower blepharoplasty, with a left brow tuck/tack for a lazy eye lid. How long after surgery will I be able to take a 4 hour flight. Obviously, I am concerned about swelling and puffiness. Would it be helpful to take a Benadryl or a diuretic before flight?

We have many patients who fly in for surgery.

They are ready for travel at about 1 week after surgery.  However, I urge you to speak with your surgeon about these details because surgeon do vary.  

Flying after blepharoplasty

The concern is for heavy lifting into and out of the overhead bins and swelling. Blepharoplasty incisions heal quite quickly so you may be able to travel 7-10 days after surgery, exercising caution. Discuss with your surgeon and follow the recommendation.

Flying after eyelid procedure

Usually 2 weeks is acceptable although some MD's would say less.  The concern is bleeding  and swelling.  These problems arise with exertion, coughing and a surge in blood pressure.  Avoid heavy lifting and head down positions.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Flying after blepharoplasty

I personally recommend that patients wait until their sutures are removed before flying, but I have had a couple patients fly with the sutures in. We remove sutures in 3-5 days, so it's not a long wait.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op instructions

This question is best answered by the surgeon who is guiding your care. The answer may even be modified after the surgery based on need for follow up. 

Stephen Fink, DO FAOCO
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long after a lower blepharoplasty can I fly in an airplane?

In our practice, we allow patients to fly an airplane 10 days after the procedure. There will still be residual bruising and swelling present but an airplane ride should be acceptable

Best to discuss with your surgeon but usually it is okay to fly even one day after surgery but of course follow up are important after surgery.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post op issues

GLM03, with all post operative instructions a patient needs to go through their surgeons office for advice. This is not the forum for that. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty and travel

For a patient that undergoes eyelid surgery, it is often a good idea to stay in town for a week to ten days. Best to ask your surgeon.