My right eye has skin fold bigger than left, what are my options to fix this? (photos)

What I can do. My right eye have skin fold bigger than left?? I noticed this from 3-4 months? How this happen? What I have to do? I'm not comfortable with this ... And what I can do for fix?

Doctor Answers 4

Because your left eyelid is droopy

You are seeing a difference in the folds of the upper eyelids, because your left upper eyelid rests lower than your right (is droopy). If this change occurred recently, and the left side looks more like the way both used to be, you should be carefully evaluated to make sure that there is not a bulging of your right eye causing the right eye to appear more open and the fold more prominent. If the appearance of the right eye is as both your eyes used to be before this change happened, then a surgery to lift the left upper eyelid could be considered. Good luck!

Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Ptosis, asymmetric eyelid folds

Your left upper lid margin is lower than the right (normal lid margin position on the right). Ptosis repair would bring the left lid margin up to match the right upper lid margin - this in turn would allow the left lid fold to drape down further. If you do decide to have the ptosis corrected on the left, you may consider cautious removal of some of the lid fold on both sides to show more of the lid between the lashes and the eyelid crease. I would advise seeing an oculoplastic surgeon or one who is very experienced with ptosis surgery. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Bigger skin fold on right

You see less skin on the left upper lid because the lid is drooping.  The right is more open so the lid fold is bigger.  You could have surgery to lift the left eye or you could have skin removed from the right side.  An oculoplastics specialist would be the best person to see you. Best of luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Right eye has bigger skin fold than left

You appear to have ptosis of your right upper eyelid.  This occurs when a muscle in the upper eyelid becomes weakened and the eyelid drops down lower across the eyeball than it should.  This can be repaired with surgery.  I would see an oculoplastic surgeon, or a facial plastic or plastic surgeon who has experience with ptosis repair.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.