4 weeks post op. Is this loose skin, swelling or remaining fat/gland after gynecomastia surgery? (photos)

I had lipo done on chest only because doctor said there was no gland during surgery. I'm four weeks post op now. My chest from the front looks good now. From an angle it looks like like maybe loose skin or gland/fat? I doubt it's swelling because both nipples and surrounding skin look cone shaped. I wanted a flat and even looking chest from any angle. I understand there would be swelling but this just doesn't look like it. I've been wearing compression vest religiously all day all night.

4 Weeks Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

4 weeks post op. Is this loose skin, swelling or remaining fat/gland after gynecomastia surgery?

4 weeks is a little too short time frame to worry about final results. Swellling will still be there and it will definitely take some more time.
the best thing that you can do is to remain in contact with your surgeon and get yourself examined regularly. If at all you might need a minor revision to correct if your problem persisits.

The timing for results

The nipple area is particularly sensitive for having swelling that takes several months to finally settle down.

There may be a combination of what you described. Some loose skin with possibly some remaining fat or glandular tissue in combination with postoperative swelling can give what you describe.

You need to wait a couple of more months. Follow up with your plastic surgeon for an assessment.

Every once in awhile, someone may need a revision or a little more tissue removed.

At this time, it's too early to tell.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Swelling 4 Weeks After Gynecomastia Surgery

Thank you for posting.  Four weeks is relatively early in the healing process and swelling can still be a factor. Final results tend to be between 4-6 months.  That being said, if you continue to have fullness in this area without any decrease, then it is not swelling. It can be either scar tissue or residual tissue.  I would recommend being in close contact with you plastic surgeon during this period.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Though we like to wait at least 3 months it does appear as if there could be residual tissue/gland/fat. Return to Dr Krau to discuss these issues... 

Swelling postop

At one month there is still swelling. I tend to wait for 4 to 6 months after liposuction before doing anything else to allow swelling to subside and allow the skin to shrink as much as possible. 

My experience is the liposuction has to be very aggressive to remove the excess tissue in men. This can lead to significant swelling. 

That said, some will need a touch up of some sort if there is remaining excess tissue.

Give it some time and give your Surgeon a chance to deal with your concerns should additional work be required. Good luck!

Victor Au, MD (retired)
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon