Is it safe to have a rhinoplasty & BBL in the same operation?

Is it safe to have those 2 procedures during the same surgery? I'm a perfectly healthy candidate with no adverse medical conditions. My surgeon prefers to to both in the same operation. But I would like a second opinion. I feel like that would be QUITE the recovery. Also, how am I supposed to sleep if I can't lay on my back (BBL) and I can't lay on my stomach or side (rhino)? Lol. although it would be very convenient to do both at once, I suppose I'm still a bit confused.

Combining BBL and rhinoplasty

As a facial plastic surgeon, I am a bit biased.  That being said, I personally have a great working relationship with a general plastic surgeon, and we often combine on procedures.  As a matter of fact, this past tuesday we had a BBL/rhinoplasty combination.  As others have noted, there are cons to doing combined procedures (mental fatigue for the surgeon, operative time, etc), however, by having two surgeons working together we avoid these issues and overall our patients are very happy with only having one time to recover - taking time off and paying for multiple facility fees/anesthesia/etc is not a luxury that everyone has. 

Anyways, to answer your question, the recovery is...different.  Your nose will feel stuffy, and you will feel as though you have a bad cold with a runny nose for around a week.  There usually isn't much pain, but if there is some in the first few days it can easily be controlled.  The worst of it is the soreness the day after from the BBL procedure.  The lipocontouring can lead to a fair bit of soreness, and depending on how many cc's get re-injected that can lead you in more discomfort.  Most patients that undergo this particular combo bounce back in about 5-7days (the rate limiting step really is how sore you get from the BBL and how many cc's are placed on each side).  As far as sleeping, the most comfortable way seems to be with pillows under your thighs, and building a small back rest of pillows (almost like a beach chair).  That way if you turn slightly from one side to another it will not be too uncomfortable.  It is similar to when a BBL/breast aug is performed at the same time - I'm sure your surgeon has his own tips as far as what works best for him.  

I hope some of this helps you.  Best of luck on your procedures.

Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift & Rhinoplasty?

It is inadvisable to undergo a butt lift at the same time as your rhinoplasty. Pick one procedure, recover from it, then have the 2nd a few months later. In addition to a challenging recovery, doing both together would likely yield inferior results- you'll be happier giving your nose the focused attention it deserves. -Randolph Capone, MD, FACS

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not safe to have rhinoplasty & BBL at same time

No, I do not think it is either safe or smart to have a rhinoplasty and a BBL at the same time. Rhinoplasty is a complicated surgery and I don't tend to combine it with anything else. I would advise you to seek a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Nose

brantford23, I would not only recommend you stage your procedures I would recommend you see a specialist for both. Rhinoplasty is difficult and unless your surgeon is experienced and does "only faces" there is a good chance you may not get the result you are anticipating. See the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it safe to have a rhinoplasty and BBL in the same operation?

There are several factors that must be contemplated before considering doing both procedures together. The amount of time it takes to perform both procedures could be rather prohibitive, and  many states have limits on the amount of time to be placed under general anesthesia as outpatient surgical procedure. It's probably best that  all of your surgery can be completed in five hours or less. A rhinoplasty might take two hours to perform. In addition, there are positioning issues during the surgery and for the postoperative care. It's probably best to  perform the procedures separately

We had this very conversation with a patient this morning. If you are young and healthy, undergoing anesthesia twice is very safe. And, your surgeon will only think about your nose one day and your butt the other day. There is no subconscious feeling of needing to get one part done to move on to the next. I think each deserves its own surgery date. Your surgeon may disagree, however, but it is ultimately up to you. Lastly, you want to be sure you are in the hands of a surgeon who does A LOT of rhinoplasty. It is the most difficult of all plastic surgeries so please be sure your doctor is a rhinoplasty specialist. Hope that helps!

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon