Is fraxel a1550/1927 laser right for me?

I am a recent 60 year old man and would like to tighten up, reduce wrinkles and damage from an old scar but mostly get rid of all the red blotches and kertosis. I have very light skin and thin from losing weight. I have downtime now and may move soon so wanted only one treatment

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Fraxel and other cosmetic concerns

Generally when you have multiple concerns on your face you need to address them with different modalities.  Fraxel (1927) will help treat pigmentation, Fraxel (1550) will treat wrinkles, Thermage will tighten the skin, V-Beam will treat the redness, and electrodessication will remove the keratoses.  I suggest you consult a specialist in cosmetic dermatology to discuss which concerns are most pressing to move forward and get treated.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Multiple cosmetic conerns

It is difficult to recommend a treatment without a formal consultation. In terms of the cosmetic concerns you listed above: tighten skin, reduce wrinkles and damage from an old scar, get rid of all the red blotches and kertosis; it is unlikely that one laser and with only one treatment that all of your concerns can be met. The Fraxel 1550 nm/1927 nm can improve the appearance of wrinkles, scars, and keratoses, but not in one treatment. Fraxel will not tighten the skin or improve all red blotches. There are different treatments that would be better for skin tightening (Ultherapy) and red blotches (Vbeam). I hope this is helpful. Dr. Tremaine

Anne Marie Tremaine, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon