Grid pattern on face 24 hrs post Fraxel. Is this normal? (photos)

I had Fraxel done for melasma yesterday. When I woke up this morning, there was a clear grid pattern all over my face. I have done Clear + Brilliant in the past and there was never a grid, just an even darkness. Is this normal for Fraxel?

Fraxel and pattern from Laser

One day after the procedure you may see the grip like pattern from the laser.  This should turn brown and flake off over the next few days.  If you have any concerns please return to your treating physician for examination.  Best, Dr. Green

Grid pattern on face after Fraxel

Dear MelasmaSucks,

The Fraxel repair, which is fractioned CO2 can be quite aggressive and leave a grid pattern. Fractionated carbon dioxide or CO2 lasers, as well as fraction erbiums and even fractional radio frequency energy can leave a grid pattern. The clear and brilliant laser technologies is much more benign and usually does not do this. In general, the fractionated injury will tend to heal well, but needs to be treated with a bleaching agent starting at about one week and this bleaching agent will help fade the darker pigmentation that can occur inside the fractional ablative lesions.

Four to six weeks of bleaching will often improve this. This can be followed by intense pulsed light and photofacials for the ultimate result.

Intense pulsed light and photo rejuvenation can also help post-operatively and often institute this, as well.
Textural changes should be noticeable and the discolouration of the skin should be easily improved.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

For more information, please review the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Day 1 after Fraxel

Good morning.
Given that this is a Fractional laser technology it is not uncommon to see a mesh like pattern early on after your treatment. It is a reflection of how the energy was delivered.
You will see over the next 3-7 days as the dry skin sloughs that the underlying tissues will have responded more evenly.
As always, get back in touch with your treatment team to let them know of your concerns. Follow their instructions.
All the best and here's to a terrific result!
Dr Nodwell

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Early days

Grinding can be seen with all fractional lasers, good news is that it is only day one- somewhat normal. Your Physician would have given you their recommended post laser care, including the use of washes, barrier creams, antibiotics (if needed) etc...
I suggest you follow their instructions and give them a call should you have any concerns regarding after care- everyone has their own particular method. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Grid Pattern After Fraxel Treatments For Melasma

I suggest speaking to your physician.  If you have DUAL 1927nm it could be possible you have grid pattern on the face if there wasn't consistency in the number of passes.  I suggest you speak to your physician.  It is normal to have "darkening" over the next few days and then the skin will shed and clear.  Please ensure the proper skin care at this point and in the future, see a very well trained laser dermatologist.  Best, Dr. Emer.