Is cryotherapy the best treatment for keloids? (Photo)

I have a keloid from a burn .A piece of hot coal fell on me 4 years ago. I have a second on from a csection I had in Dec 2015. The doctor even gave me a steroid shot to prevent scarring,but no luck with that. I read so many stories about different procedures for keloid removal that later grow back. In the near future I'm looking to get a breast lift/implants & liposuction only if I can have a successful keloid removal .First I would like to remove my scars before they get bigger.

Keloid treatment

Keloids often require multiple rounds of injections before starting to soften. Intralesional cryotherapy can be extremely effective, but few providers are trained in this or offer it to patients. Surgical excision with post-operative steroid injections are also an option. 

Chicago Dermatologist

Here's the best treatment--keloid scar treatment includes steroids, lasers, microneedling/prp

There are many options for this type of scar.  I suggest you seek a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in scar treatments.  Injectable steroids with or without 5-FU and microneedling/prp would be helpful in your case.  There are other laser options, and if these fail, surgery with or without radiation can work. See an expert in scarring. Best, Dr. Emer.

Is cryotherapy the best treatment for a #keloid?

While not the only treatment, I have found Cryotherapy to be one of the best mostly due to the success and lower recurrence rates.  Keep in mind that this will not "remove" the scar, nor will any other treatment, rather softens and flattens the abnormal tissue.  The main problem with keloid treatments are recurrence rates tend to be relatively high historically (meaning they grow back) so using the treatment that has the lowest recurrence rate to date is probably best.  Please make sure to consult with board-certified plastic surgeons with experience in this type of treatment for best results--happy to help. Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon