Odd shaped boobs. Is this normal? (Photo)

I am on day 5 only but I just want to make sure that how my boobs look is normal? I am icing the top part once in a while like doc says. Wearing my compression post operative bra. I received 475cc in both breasts. Used to be 36 A/B smaller than a B but bigger than A.

Odd shaped boobs. Is this normal?

At this point you are early in the healing process. Swelling and implants will continue to settle with time. Follow up with your surgeon as directed.

Regards,

5 Days Post Op

Thank you for your question and photo. Immediately post op, the breast implants are under pressure and pectoral muscles swell. It is normal for the breasts to have a high, distorted appearance. I recommend that you allow 2-6 months for your breasts to drop and fluff and to see your final results.

All the best

Implant dropping

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

5 days post BA - is this normal?

Hello and thank you for your question.

Your early results are consistent with being just 5 days post op. The implants are very high and the skin and muscles are tight. They will look significantly different at 4-6 weeks post op, and will continue to evolve over the following 4 months beyond that.

Dr. Vath

Breast Implants, Breast Augmentation, Healing time

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. I ask my patients to wait 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to adapt to the changes in their breast size and shape as well as their overall new body image. There are a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery that feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. And those emotional feelings can change daily turning this transitional time. Remember also that each side of the body heals at a different rate and that you weren't perfectly asymmetric to begin with so although you should be closer in symmetry there will always be differences.

It can take many months to see the final results of surgery. Swelling, soreness, skin repositioning, implant settling must resolve completely before you can make that determination. Once the swelling around the implants has also resolved you can see the final result. Patients often report that they are happier with the implants' shape their cleavage and projection once these changes occur.

I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.
Best wishes or an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Odd shaped boobs. Is this normal?

Remember that swelling is common and as the swelling subsides and the implants drop and settle some, your breasts will assume a more normal shape. Best to give your body time to heal at this point and re-evaluate your results in 3-4 months. Good luck!

Swelling can contribute to odds shape breasts in the short aftermath of breast augmentation.

Swelling within the soft tissues after a breast augmentation can artificially support the prosthesis. This can make the breast look a bit unusual. This will resolve in several weeks.

Breasts are Oddly Shaped Right After Breast Augmentation #breastaugmentation

• It is not uncommon for breast implants to ride high for awhile soon after a breast augmentation.
  • Your photo demonstrates this.
  • With time the lower pole breast skin will stretch to accommodate the new implants.  With time, gravity, and the weight of your implants, the lower portion of your breasts will become fuller.
  • Be patient, as this can take up to three months.
  • Thanks for sharing!

Breast Implants/ Breast Augmentation/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Odd shaped boobs. Is this normal?

You are early in recovery after breast augmentation. It is normal for implants to ride high in the beginning. Ask your surgeon when you may start breast implant displacement exerciases.