Is it normal to have hair loss after neck lift. I hope someone can advise me! (photos)

I had a neck lift done 6.5 weeks ago. After 14 days my hair started to fall out above the scar, mostly on one side. Is that normal, will it grow back? Is there anything I can do to encourage hair growth? I presume or hope it is temporary only. The scar is behind my ear towards the bottom of the ear and the hair loss is above and behind my ear. I posted photos too, so you can see what I am talking about. It is on both side but the left hand side is much worse for the hair loss.

Neck lift - can it cause hair loss?

Thank you for asking about your neck lift.
  • You can have hair loss after any surgery - 
  • The stress of surgery can make the hair shed.
  • In your case, it is more likely to be from the surgery itself -
  • The hair growth should return in 3 - 6 months as long as the surgery didn't damage the deep hair follicles
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Hair Loss after Neck Lift

From the pictures, it seems as though hair was removed for the procedure in order for your facial plastic surgeon to make the necessary incisions for a neck lift. However, do keep in mind that hair loss is possible due to the stress of surgery. The good news is that hair grows back. You should be seeing significant growth within the new few months. If you want to see greater hair growth, speak to your facial plastic surgeon about topical hair growth products.

Sam Rizk, MD

Hair loss after surgery

thank you for your pictures! I hate to see what happened to you.  Hair loss after head and neck surgery can happen, and it is associated with the joint shock trauma of surgery and anesthesia.  The good news is that the hair loss should be stabilizing by now and over the next few weeks you will start to see some hair growth.  it can take another month or two before you start seeing some growth, however.  there are a couple things that you can do to help improve how quickly your hair grows - you can start on topical minoxidil once a day as long as its ok with your operating surgeon.  Some PS's do not like using it before two or three months after surgery.  You can also discuss with them possibly doing two sessions of PRP (platelet rich plasma) to the affected areas.  This can improve how quickly those follicles will bounce back after shock. remember, when in doubt, ask your operating PS for insight.  

best of luck on your recovery.  i hope some of this helps.   

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon