Why don't I have neck/chin definition? (Photo)

I'm only 22 but have no neck/chin definition from side on. Front on I look normal and I'm not overweight. What might be the reason I have no definition?

Age 22 with lack of neck/chin definition

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thanks for your question.  Your chin/neck/profile is genetically determined for the most part.  Weight loss and gain can certainly alter the appearance to a certain degree.  For a patient like you in my practice I would recommend placing a chin implant to bring your chin forward and liposuction for the neck.  At your age, a neck lift would not be needed.  Best of luck to you.  

Why no neck line definition?

It appears that you have some fullness below your chin due to some excess fat in the area.  This problem can be hereditary in nature and there are several treatment options.  The traditional treatment option would be liposuction, which works very well.  Two non-surgical options would be CoolSculpting and Kybella.  CoolSculpting uses a cooling technology to reduce the fat and Kybella involves a series of injections to gradually reduce the fat.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck & Chin Definition at Age 22

A neck lift is a general term used for rejuvenating the neckline to create a more youthful attractive appearance. Factors which are considered during your consultation to determine if you are a #candidate for #rejuvenating the neck include: 

•Visibility and amount of excess fat below the chin and along the neckline.
•The presence of banding down the front of the #neck.
•The amount of #excess skin and condition of your skin.
•Chin Deficiency.
•Presence of Prominent Digastric Muscles (a.k.a. submandibular gland fullness).

During the examination the chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline.  A weak #chin means there is not adequate chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local anesthesia. For individuals with signs of aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.

If you are not a candidate at the time of your #consultation, your board certified plastic surgeon can recommend non-surgical alternatives to address your concern. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in #neck lift procedures is important to ensure you are receiving the best advice, care, and surgical experience possible. 

Why don't I have neck/chin definition?

Thank you for your question. There are 3 factors contributing to the lack of definition of your jawline and neck on the side view.

First your chin is small and condition called microgenia.

Second, the Hyoid bone in your neck just above the Adam's apple is lower than normal and is pulling the muscles attached to your chin downward which prevents your having a nice 90° angle between the jaw and neck. This normally cannot be corrected.

Third there is fat beneath the skin which is pushing the skin of your neck outward and obscuring a 90° angle between your jaw and neck.

In my experience a combination of a chin implant and laser liposuction to remove the fat under the skin of the neck and tightness skin can give a very nice result.

You do not need nor should you even consider a neck lift at your age.

For more information and to see photographic results of this technique please see the link below:

Neck chin definition

It appears you might have a small (recessed, or weak, as it's called sometimes), and you might also have some submental (under chin) fullness (meaning fatty tissue).  There are good treatments for this, surgical and non-surgical.  Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon about how this applies to you, and whether they have any special concerns in your case.

Sliding genioplasty

Because your chin is short, thus do consider advancing the chin forwardly.

Being an option, chin implants have serious disadvantages, specially in the mid and long term, patients are rarely happy with them after 5-6 years, all are out by then or later.

Consider the chin advancement by means of sliding genioplasty, the advantages are:
-lifetime procedure, no more revision or renewal procedures
-more natural than implants
-no visibility of implant edges during gestures
-improves the double chin effect at the sub-mental muscles (floor of mouth) hammock caused by lack of tension there; also improves the shape and tension of perioral muscles; implants do no offer this feature
-horse-shoe enhancement, covering the chin and also the jaw sides of it
-no future displacements or neuritis of mental nerves
-practically zero infections and 100% healing of bones
-no need for complex plates and screws that may need future removal; just steel wires synthesis may suffice, they stay buried into bone callus

The cons are:
-expensive, but cheap if you consider the lifetime pros
-technically demanding, few surgeons are experienced or comfortable (though I personally perform 100% of the chin augmentations by this osseous method, always after offering the patients both options)
-scary for the patient (though not so much if you explain well the stuff around it)

You'll find in this website dozens of negative experiences with chin implants in the short and mid term, do read my profile's Q&A and you'll find them too. I am doing sliding genioplaties for 15 years with the highest success and no one patient regreted, totall the opposite, I did many chin implant removals and one staged sliding genioplasties to replace them.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Why don't I have neck/chin definition?

The reason for your lack of definition on your neck could be due to genetic or physical structures. Please consult with a board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon for your options.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck anatomy challenges

Thank you for the question. Others have suggested that this is fat excess. If so, Kybella or liposuction would be great options. However, since you say that this has always been your neck shape, please consider that this may be related to the anatomy of your neck structures. In some patients, the voice box is very anterior -- this leads to a more obtuse neck angle and limits the efficacy of treatments like facelift, neck lift, liposuction, etc. Finally, in your case, it appears that your chin is somewhat small. A chin implant could do a lot to change the angle of the neck.

You need to have an in-person examination with a board certified specialist to determine candidacy for procedures. Best of luck moving forward!

22 Years Old - Lack of Neck Definition

Two anatomical factors play a role in your situation: weak chin and excess under-the-chin fat. 
Therefore, chin enhancement and surgical neck sculpting will provide you with significant and long-lasting benefits.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw definition in a young patient

The lack of definition can be just genetic. You may be a good candidate for laser liposuction to define your jawline. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with experience in laser for a clinical evaluation.