Chin implant, sliding genioplasty or liposuction? 30 year old female. (Photo)

I've provided photos from all angles as I find I tend to look very different, so trying to give a well rounded view. My question is would an implant, sliding genioplasty or neck liposuction be the best option for me? I've had braces in my 20s so my bite is fine. They brought my upper teeth back as a compromised treatment. I'm also looking for a surgeon in Melbourne, Australia that specialises in this area but have had no success as yet so am open to any recommendations. Thank you

Chin implant and neck lift

It appears that beside small chin you have low-set hyoid bone which creates obtuse angle in your neck. This is usually a family trait. Augmentation with chin implants would partially address this problem. A combination of anterior neck lift (to tighten and redistribute anterior neck muscles and reduce deep neck fat, if needed), liposuction and chin implant would be my suggestion (without having a benefit of clinical evaluation). Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and neck liposuction

The photographs from the side profile demonstrate a weak and recessive chin profile along with fatty deposits in the neck. Placement of a chin implant will help significantly with facial balance and proportions, by augmenting the mandible forward. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin. The size and the shape of the implant is usually determined at the time of the consultation and examination. In our practice, we use Implantech Mittleman chin implants  usually sized small or medium.  The fatty deposits in the neck are removed with liposuction at the same time through the very same incision as the chin implant. For more information  and many examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below

Chin surgery

I believe neither treatments that you suggested  are best for you. You have severe micrognathia (small jaw)  that may even cause you to snore or have sleep apnea. Proper surgery I believe is to correct the source of the problem and not a patch up. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Candidate for a chin augmentation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin implant, sliding genioplasty or liposuction? 30 year old female.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak, the cheeks are flat anteriorly, there is excess fat below and in front of the cheeks (and under the chin) and "jowls" are present.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I would combine liposuction under the chin to further shape the chin and neck area. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties that had early formation of "jowls".  Flat cheeks anteriorly (in the front), jowls and the a weak chin combine to create a rectangular shaped face.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Chin Implant vs Sliding Genioplasty with Liposuction

Thanks for your post. Based on your question and photos, I would favor a well positioned and properly selected silastic chin implant over sliding genioplasty. Implantech, Inc. makes some well designed implants that can offer you both chin projection and possible enhancement of the geniomandibular sulcus (or area on the side of your central chin). This ability of an implant to enhance your facial structure in multi-dimensions, seems to work best for patients who already have good dental relationships. A chin implant may also give you a better soft tissue contour to your submental region. If not, submental liposuction could be done at the same time to further enhance your profile and neckline. Contact your regional Facial Plastic Surgery Society or view the international list of physicians in the AAFPRS and ABFPRS websites for potential physician referrals. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon