Can I have my upper eyelids tattooed before I have a blepharoplasty? (Photo)

Have eyelid tattoo performed after eyelid surgery

Thank you for sharing your question. Have the blepharoplasty performed before the tattoo is placed. The eyelid shape and skin might be different after surgery. If the tattoo is placed prior to eyelid surgery, it can be pulled and moved by the surgery. 
Good luck,

Before or After

Good Afternoon Omron

That's a great question!

It is wise to have the bleph op performed first to get rid of excess skin and allow the scar to heal, which will take a few weeks, before you know what you're left with. Depending on what shape tattoo you want to have, it may remove a portion of the tattoo and may distort the appearance.

Good luck with your journey and your desired result

Can I tattoo my upper eyelids before a blepharoplasty

It would  be advisible to undergo the blepharoplasty procedure first. Once this has healed well and you recieve clearance from your surgeon, you could then consider eyelid tattooing. 

Can I have my upper eyelids tattooed before I have a blepharoplasty?

Hello Omron,

For my patients who desire permanent make up, I recommend it be performed after our procedure.  The reason is that following blepharoplasty there is temporary numbness of the skin. This makes the permanent make up a much more enjoyable treatment.  But every physician is different so I'd recommend you ask your surgeon before proceeding.  If you already have permanent makeup on your upper eyelid, it won't affect your ability to have a blepharoplasty. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent Make-Up

Hello, Thank you for your question. Permanent make-up is becoming a more popular procedure. I'd recommend mentioning your desired aesthetic goals with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, so they may make their recommendations on which to proceed with first. All the best. 

Tattoo after blepharoplasty

You can but probably best to have blepharoplasty first and then have eyelid tattoo.  That is if you will blepharoplasty in next few years.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

In order to get the best combined results I would suggest the surgery first and the tattoo 6-12 weeks later. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Permanent make up

I would wait till after you have eyelid surgery. The surgery will change the position of the upper lid and can distort the appearance. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

It is better to be done after

Permanent makeup should be done after upper eyelid blepharoplasty since there is a possibility of changes after the eyelids are pulled.  

Permanent eyelid tattoo

I would advise you wait until your blepharoplasty is well healed (3-4 months) before considering this. They are your eyes, and as you know styles change, be conservative.

Bradley Robertson, MD