How long would I have to stay in Dominican Republic after a bbl, tt & lipo?

Need a time frame. Is it OK to fly a few days after surgery? How long should I wait to come back to NY?

Traveling Out of the Country with a Health Condition for a Mommy Makeover

This is a very good question. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measure.

Therefore, it may be in your best interest to not #travel out of the country for such procedures. Unless, you know the doctor or facility where the procedures take place well or have a previous experience with them, there is an increased chance of problems, #complications, or #emergencies which may lack the necessary attention as you would acquire easier within the United States. 

Length of stay in DR after surgery

The US State Department has a warning advising against surgery in the DR because people are returning with catastrophic infections that are difficult to treat.

If you insist on going, plan to stay 2 weeks and to have friends or family in the area to help in case you have a complication. Best wishes.

You should stay near your surgeon after a mommy makeover until the risk of complications is complete.

It is questionable whether an operation is physiologically significant as a mommy makeover should be done out of the country. If you choose to do so however you should stay until complications requiring the input of your surgeon or behind you. This includes seroma, hematoma, infection, And significant wound issues. Optimistically, I would plan on 10 days to two weeks.

Combination surgery abroad

You are considering having a combination procedure that probably has one of the highest complication rates. And you are also considering having that procedure completed in a different country. I do not want to offend you, but I do think that you need to seriously consider the warnings that I am sure that you will be getting with the responses to your question. I personally think that it is shortsighted to consider such a plan, even if it appears that you might save some money. You would be much better off finding a safe local surgeon to take care of you. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Medical tourism

If you go to the tummy tuck portion of this site there is a woman having trouble with a large seroma after a tummy tuck in the DR.  I would read what Dr. Singer wrote very carefully.  Surgery is not like heading out on an vacation in another country.  Deals with your body can cost you tens of thousands of dollars in complications afterwards or your life.  Why don't you pick the safest route and pick a surgeon on the Smart Beauty Guide and make a decision based on training and experience instead of what you feel is cost effective.  

Most plastic surgeons would have several concerns with what you are planning.

Combination procedures may be performed together. Whether you are a reasonable candidate, however, for the combination of procedures you listed depends on your anatomy, the extent of the abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) , the complexity of the BBL, the amount of liposuction, your medical history, medical clearance from your primary physician, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures.

Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective, but many surgeons would prefer performing these procedures in 2 separate operations to diminish the potential for complications. Having stated that, most ethical experienced surgeons would feel that the combination of procedures that you listed would be excessive to perform at the same time.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the nationally recognized accrediting organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or if it is outside of the Unite States an international organization like the the American Association for Accreditation for Ambulatory Surgery Facilities International, (AAAASFI) or in a licensed hospital.

Having surgery at a reduced rate in a foreign country sounds appealing, but there are many concerns that you should consider. Generally, there is no preoperative direct discussion with the surgeon who is going to perform the surgery in order to establish any reasonable doctor/patient relationship. There are often language barriers that can interfere with your care. Even if your surgeon speaks English, the ancillary personnel like the nurses and the anesthesia provider who are involved in your care, may not. The quality of hospitals outside of the U.S. varies tremendously. Some are accredited and inspected, others are not. Even if the hospital has reasonable facilities and the surgeon has training, which may not be up to the quality of training of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the quality of the nurses and others involved in your care may be very different from that in the United States. They may have little or no formal medical education, training or credentialing.

There is usually little follow-up care. In addition, the general sanitary conditions often increase the risk of infections, including some that are generally rare in this country.
There are also major potential problems that may occur with traveling long distances just before and after surgery, like dehydration and fatigue, but more importantly complications including clots in the legs called deep venous thrombosis and clots to the lung which may be life threatening.

In most countries, if a problem develops, you will have little legal recourse and no ability to file a complaint either against the hospital or about the surgeon. If complications.,develop after you return home, it may be difficult or impossible to obtain care from your local physicians. If problems do occur, the cost of subsequent care can be far greater than the reduced cost of the original surgery. While there are well-trained physicians in many other countries, I would suggest that you travel for pleasure or business and have your surgery closer to home.

Flying home a few days after extensive surgery adds a significant risk of severe complications.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Long time

How about one month at least. Most surgeons performing this procedure like to see their patients frequently for several weeks. There are a lot of things that may go wrong or need evaluation in the first few weeks so I prefer to see my patients often. Even doing this in a city in the US  that is not your hometown is safer than going to a foreign country for surgery. Great price in these places and frequently equivalent results...until you have a problem. My partner recently consulted on a fat grafting procedure done in DR with cellulitis of the buttock. On IV antibiotics for 1 week now. She has no insurance. Her hospitalization may bankrupt her

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgery Tourism

The allure of plastic surgery in foreign countries is often the lower price accompanied by a tropical destination. 
Doesn't that sound great? 
So then, what happens if something doesn't go according to plan? 
Please remember that cosmetic surgical procedures are still medical procedures, and despite every precaution and care taken, complications can arise. 
If I had a crystal ball and could read the future, besides winning every megamillions jackpot, I could tell which patients would have problems during or after their surgery. 
With destination plastic surgery, you leave very soon after your procedure. If you have any follow up questions or concerns, or need a revision, you then must seek out a local plastic surgeon. This is the same surgeon you passed over to get your procedure done. He or she will address your concerns but will charge you the full amount for each office visit and for any and all revisional surgeries required. 
I won't even begin to mention what might happen should you require an emergency hospitalization while you are in the foreign country...