Does a heart murmur interfere with getting a Mommy Makeover?

I just got back from a physical with my doctor (not MM related), and he told me I've developed a heart murmur. Next week, I have to go in for a ecocolordoppler cardiaca and an ECG (I don't know what these are in English!). Will having developed this affect me being able to safely have my surgery? It's scheduled for August.

Heart murmur must be worked up prior to elective cosmetic surgery including mommy makeover

Many heart murmurs are of no functional significance. However this has to be established by cardiologist prior to having elective aesthetic procedures such as a mommy makeover.

Thank you for the question. The presence of a heart murmur, in and of itself, will not necessarily interfere with your ability to proceed with mommy makeover surgery. You are doing the right thing in completing the cardiology workup; hopefully, your cardiologist will provide “clearance” to your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Will a heart murmur affect my upcoming plastic surgery?

It is fortunate that you are being evaluated thoroughly before your planned plastic surgery.  Often heart murmurs are present but are not associated with significant underlying cardiac problems.  After your evaluation your doctors will be able to determine whether or not your murmur is associated with any significant cardiac abnormality. 

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Heart murmur and mommy make-over

Thank you for your question about your heart murmur and your mommy make-over
  • A heart murmur can mean anything from normal flow in a thin woman to a problem that needs surgical correction.
  • So you will have to wait for the heart studies - they are standard and will help your doctor advise you.
  • Chances are this will all be sorted out by August and your cosmetic surgery can proceed.
  • Best wishes.

Consult a heart specialist first, but a murmur may not interfere with a Mommy Makeover.

The decision to have a Mommy Makeover will be determined somewhat by the results of your studies. If your health information reveals a benign heart murmur, very common in women, then your surgery can be conducted without any medical issues. If, however, the murmur represents something more serious, this should be addressed before having a Mommy Makeover by a heart specialist.

Hope this helps!

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Heart murmur with mommy makeover

Heart murmurs are frequently asymptomatic but you should follow through with your testing to be sure that you can proceed with your mommy makeover.  The results of your tests will be evaluated by the cardiologist and your plastic surgeon will make the final decision regarding safety and surgery.

Heart murmurs are quite common in women and the majority are benign and should not affect your surgery.  However, you should follow you doctors recommendation and get the echocardiogram and ECG.  These are non-invasive tests which should help determine if it is safe to have the mommy makeover.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Some heart murmurs are benign however others may be significant.  It us best to determine the reason for the heart murmur by having a Cardiologist evaluate you.  An ECHO is an ultrasound of your heart which will evaluate the heart motion and heart valvles.  Best to you

Heart murmur and elective surgery

Most heart murmurs are benign, but there is always a chance that yours could be more significant. The Echocardiogram test that you will be getting will give you the information that you need. Your cardiologist will need to clear you for your surgery after you have completed your workup tests. There is no way to advise you about your condition without knowing the specifics of your echocardiogram results. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Cardiac concerns prior to surgery

Heart murmurs can be innocent to very serious.  A complete work up by your cardiologist is necessary prior to any cosmetic surgery. Your plastic surgeon must get those results and talk to the cardiologist about your murmur to make sure that elective surgery is  safely accomplish it can be done at all.