Male Puffy Nipples -- Fix Without Full Gyno Surgery?

Hello I am a rather lean 32 year old male with puffy nipples. I would say I have Type 1 Gynocomastia. I was wondering if its possible to have my nipples fixed without the full blown gyno surgery. The shape of my pectoral/breast area isn't really an issue, as its mainly in my nipples. They are convex and puffy, and I'd love to get them flat. From what I understand, I still need a full blown gyno surgery, but I was wondering if there are other opinions out there.

About Puffy Nipple Areola Complex

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.

As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.
#PuffyNipple surgery generally takes only an hour or two, and the recovery time is short; sometimes less than a week. There is minimal scarring and the success rate is excellent. Therefore, patients who suffer from "Puffy Nipples", and who view it as an unaesthetic and unpleasant condition, may desire surgical intervention to correct the "puffy nipple" condition. 
Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Excision is Best For Pure Glandular Hypertrophy (Type 1 Gynecomastia)

It sounds like you have a low BMI (Body Mass Index), therefore, you probably do not have a significant amount of fatty breast tissue causing your "puffy nipples", which you refer to as "Type 1 Gynecomastia", also known as purely glandular hypertrophy (overgrowth).  

In patients such as yourself, I prefer to perform a “stealth excision”, in which I make a several millimeter “stab” incision within the areolar skin, and then remove the stubborn breast tissue with a clamp and scissors, resulting in a "deflated", normal appearing areola.  A dissolvable stitch or two is used to close the tiny incision, leaving an imperceptible scar.   

The key to this technique is to know when to stop removing breast tissue, in order to avoid an unnaturally "indented" nipple and areola.  Because I remove small amounts at a time, I am able to accurately remove just enough "gland" to completely treat the "puffy nipple", without causing an unnatural depression.

What you refer to as "full blown gyno surgery" usually implies performing a traditional "en-block" excision of glandular tissue through a "periareolar" incision, which usually goes at least halfway around the areola, with or without liposuction.

I hope you find this answer helpful.  Good luck!

Treatment of Puffy Nipples

Hi momo3333,

Thanks for the post. True puffy nipples is due to excess glandular tissue located under the areola. This needs surgery to correct. There is no such thing as "full blown gyno surgery". There are different techniques that are utilized to treat each man's specific cause of excess tissue, whether it is fat removal, gland removal, skin removal, or all of the above. It seems that in your case, you would only need a small incision under the areola to remove the gland. I would recommend that you be seen by a plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Puffy Nipples

There are different degrees or variations of gynecomastia that can be improved with a variety of procedures.   When the excess tissue is limited to only beneath nipple region; there are surgical techniques that can be employed to only address that region.  It is recommended to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon who discuss your options.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Treatment options or puffy nipples

A photograph of your condition would be beneficial.  Many times puffy nipples in males is associated with gynecomastia. When the gynecomastia is corrected the nipples generally shrink down as well.  You should be evaluated by a plastic surgeon for this condition and to review treatment options.

Male Puffy Nipple Correction

Whether you have puffy nipples or puffy areolae, both can be corrected in a small procedure under local anesthesia.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Male nipples can be reduced without gynecomastia surgery.

Hi.

Actually your problem is fairly common, and easy to correct under local anesthesia.  The nipples are made both less tall and less fat with minimal scarring.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Minor Male Chest Issues

Thank you for the question.  If the nipple/areola is the problem then directed excision is helpful or an in office local liposuction could be beneficial.  The first step would be to have a consult and exam with a BC PS.

Dr. ES

Minimal surgery for male puffy nipples

If your only manifestation of gynecomatia is puffy nipples, you don't need the full surgery. Puffy male nipple can be fixed by minimal local surgery. Direct excision, through the nipple is very effective. Local anesthesia is the norm. Scars are minimal. It usually involves removing gland just behind the nipple. See photos of similar cases so you know that you and your surgeon are on the same page.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Scarless gynecomastia

check in your area and see if anyone offers this procedure. It's all done through a tiny nick in the armpit and we use a specialized instrument to grind up and liquify the gland and then suction it out through that same small hole

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon