Is Male Breast Reduction Painful?

I'm interested in that surgery but i'm afraid. Please let me know if this is painful. Thanks

Dont worry about pain

Hi, gynecomastia reduction involves reduction of gland and liposuction.  Together they achieve  better result, however it can hurt a bit.   Thats why we work with a pain medicine specialist anaesthesiologist and help you with pain management.   So, normally theres no pain at all.  Dont be afraid. 

Dr jpc

Pain and Recovery from Gynecomastia Surgery

As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding. Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Male Breast Reduction

The common condition known as gynecomastia is characterized by enlarged breast tissue and affects an astonishing 40 to 60% of men. Fortunately, the condition is easily reversed with liposuction just by making a small incision under the nipple. When you wake up, you'll probably feel some pain, especially if you cough, and you will probably have a few days or weeks of breast tenderness. You will have to wear a surgical garment for a week and you should avoid any jarring exercise for at least one month. Your surgeon may insert drains to siphon off any excess fluid, and there will likely be more bleeding on the first day. Although you'll have an idea of how your breasts will look within three weeks or so, they won't take on their ultimate shape for several months.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Is Male Breast Reduction Painful?

Because the surgery is minimally invasive and does not go deep into your body it is not painful. You will feel some discomfort but for the most part it is quite painless.

Male Breast Reduction, Minimally Painful

You will not feel any pain during your male breast reduction, as you will be placed under either local or general anesthesia depending on the severity of your condition and the invasiveness of your surgery. As with any recovery from surgery, though, you may experience pain and discomfort for a short time following your male breast reduction, which can be eased with medication as prescribed by your doctor. Still, this possibility should not ultimately deter you from moving forward with the procedure. A male breast reduction has the ability to alter your entire self-image, and can improve both how you look and how you feel. You will undoubtedly find that the minimal pain associated with a male breast reduction is largely worth the overall benefit.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Gynecomastia correction is not painful.

Hi.

Here it is easy to give you good news.  Of course there is some discomfort, and we send you home with some pain pills, but correction of gynecomastia is basically skin surgery (not deep), and does not hurt much at all.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Is male breast reduction painful?

Thank you for your concern but I promise I don't feel a thing.  Sorry.  Couldn't help myself.  Every person is different when it comes to post-operative discomfort.  Most of my gynecomastia patients tell me that they are very sore after the surgery but they don't use the word "pain."  Still, your doctor should give you pain pills to help get your through any post-operative discomfort.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Is Male Breast Reduction Surgery Painful

Anxiety is completely natural but don't be afraid. It is not painful. The procedure is carried out under local anaesthetic and is treated as a minimally invasive day case. You can even have sedation if you'd feel better. With a minimally invasive procedure such as VASER, your surgeon can minimise scarring. The cannula would just be used for gentle aspiration of the fat. You may need drains for a day post op, and compression garments for 4 weeks.

Alberto Di Giuseppe, MBBS
London Plastic Surgeon

Control of pain after surgery

There is always some degree of pain and soreness after any surgery.  The pain after a subcutaneous mastectomy for gynecomastia is usually well controlled with narcotic analgesics after surgery.   

Pain after Male Breast Reduction Surgery

All surgery has some pain or discomfort associated with it. The amount depends on exactly what was done and the technique. Male breast reduction, or gynecomastia surgery, usually has minimal pain following it. Simple liposuction and major mastectomy like procedures tend to have the least. However, most people are back to most normal, non-athletic activities within a few days and taking pain meds only before bed. I have yet to have someone tell me that they did not think the surgery was not totally worth it.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon