Male Breast Reduction Price

How much does male breast reduction cost? What factors influence the price of male breast reduction? Will insurance cover the expense?

Male Breast Reduction Cost

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As noted by many other surgeons on this site, the cost of gynecomastia surgery varies depending on the extent of the condition as well as the location. In my practice, the cost for most patients is approximately $6500, which includes all fees (surgeon, hospital, anesthesia and pathology).  It is slightly higher if skin removal is required.  Insurance rarely covers the procedure, which is considered cosmetic by most insurance carriers. 

Newton Plastic Surgeon

Cost of gynecomastia correction

Here in the midwest gynecomastia correction could cost as little as 1500 dollars for a local anesthesia to 6000-8000 dollars if you need a general anesthesia. This would include excision and fat removal with possible mastopexy.

Price of Male Breast Reduction Surgery / Gynecomastia

I think insurance SHOULD cover gynecomastia surgery.  Gynecomastia is not a result of inactivity or excess caloric intake. True gynecomastia cannot be eliminated by diet or exercise. Sometime emn feel badly, niot to mention self conscious about fullness in the chest area.  The Price of Male Breast Reduction surgery will depend upon the amount of time the surgery takes. There are several different types of gynecomastia. It also depends upon the experience of the plastic surgeon, the results the surgeon can provide, the type of anesthesia used, the facility, etc.

Treatment of ‘pure glandular’ gynecomastia 

‘Pure glandular’ gynecomastia (puffy nipples) can usually be treated by direct tissue excision alone. This type of treatment does not involve fatty tissue excess or significant skin excess. The glandular breast tissue proliferation is located immediately behind the nipple and areola and is removed through an incision placed at the inferior border of the areola. The incision can be limited, in most cases, from about the 4 o’clock to the 8 o’clock position of the areola. The color difference between areolar skin and chest skin conceals this type of incision quite nicely for most patients.

When thinking about price, consider that getting it "right" is always less expensive than unexpected revisions.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Cost of gynecomastia Corrective Surgery

Surgery to Gynecomastia can vary from patient to patient. The extent of the surgery, the skill of the surgeon, the techniques used, and the time that would take to do the surgery would determine the cost.

The cost would be typically somewhere between 5000 to $7000.

Please see an experienced surgeon with passion for getting the best result. After consultation, a more accurate estimate of the cost of surgery can be given.

Hope this helped.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Male Breast Reduction costs $5000 - 10000

Correction of gynecomastia can be an insurance-covered benefit and this is the appropriate place to start. Gynecomastia can be caused by medications, weight, marijuana use, or (in rare cases) tumors that effect your hormonal balance.

Gynecomastia correction surgery is different than breast reduction surgery for women. The end goals are different in that breast reduction surgery aims to create a smaller attractive looking breast that has projection, roundness and appropriate horizontal positioning of the nipple in comparison to the breast fold and breast mound.

Gynecomastia correction aims to create a male-looking breast with significant improvement in the skin envelope and subcutaneous breast tissue.

Typically costs are between $5000-$10000 depending on the techniques used (liposuction, direct excision, combinations of both).

Male breast reduction Cost, Connecticut

Your type and degree of gynecomastia will determine what type of surgical intervention is needed. Liposuction vs direct surgical excision. Cost will depend on where you live and the type or degree of repair needed. The cost usually ranges from $6000-$7500 and is not typically covered under insurance. 

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Male breast reduction cost

Male breast reduction cost can vary depending on if there is a need for excision of any skin or just liposuction with removal of the glandular tissue by direct excision.

For liposuction with direct excision of the glandular tissue, costs are $4500 for everything at Hedden Plastic Surgery in Birmingham, Alabama. This includes facility, anesthesia and surgeons fees.

If there is some laxity to the tissue and the patient wishes to have smart liposuction with the excision the cost is $1000 more for the added laser cost.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Cost of male chest contouring varies...

The cost for male chest contouring varies by diagnosis and procedure indicated... if it is purely fatty tissue, often liposuction alone is enough. If there is thicker tissue, an open excision is required and thus would cost more. So the price ranges form about $4000- $7000.  The patients are so happy-- they all say they wish they had come in sooner. 

Good luck.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast Reduction Cost

The cost of male breast reduction surgery varies from surgeon to surgeon, region to region, and depends on the type of gynecomastia you have. The average cost of gynecomastia surgery at my practice is $7,500. As a result of my extensive male breast reduction experience, I am able to safely offer the vast majority of my patients the option to have surgery in my procedure room under local anesthesia, which reduces the overall cost. You can do a search on Real Self, to check the average cost of male breast reduction in your area. 

Answer Male Breast Reduction Price

Dear Friend,

Gynecomastia surgery is the most common procedure we do in our practice.  There are different factors involved.  For one, 10% of the patients we see are not amenable to our most popular procedure and require formal breast reduction, which is more complicated and requires more after care, although the results are very gratifying because the patients have so much excess tissue and sagging skin.  Formal breast reduction is offered when that sagging skin exceeds the ability of it to contract once the glandular tissue is moved from behind it. 

Our most popular procedure and the one we use for the other 90% of men involves no scar on the chest but is done through a small incision under the armpit.  The advantages then are to avoid the half-moon scars on the nipple and areola and also since there is no break in the skin at the nipple and the areola, you are unlikely to get a scar contracture pulling the skin down to the muscle.  When you look at the many before and after pictures online, you will see very frequently distortion of the nipple and the areola because of that scar done in the traditional technique. 

We had poor luck getting insurance to cover the case.  Even when they explain to the patient that yes they cover gynecomastia, when it is time to pre-certify the procedure, they deny it on the basis of it being cosmetic and not a functional problem.  I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD