How long should I not take a bath since lipoma surgery?

#Lipoma Removal

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Bathing after lipoma excision

This will depend the method of skin closure and your surgeon's preference. In my own practice, I ask patients to keep the operative area dry for 24 hours at which point it would be safe to shower. I would wait longer before having a bath or swimming.

Owen Reid, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Bathing after lipoma op

Every physician has their protocol for bathing after lipoma removal. If the wound is small, I allow showers the next day following surgery but prefer no swimming, bathing or Jacuzzi for 1-2 weeks since prolonged water exposure can make the wound soggy and lead to incision separation. Larger wounds may require a bit longer wait but again, showers are ok immediately. Good luck and take care.

Thank you for sharing your question.  Depending on the location of the lipoma I would not submerge any incision for up to 4 weeks after surgery.  Discuss your question with your surgeon. As they have the full details of your procedure they can best advise you.  Best wishes.