Malar Bags/Under Eye bags - Treatment for 16 Year Old

I'm only 16 going on 17 and my eye area looks like the eye area of someone who is 30 years older than me. I have not had this for a long time. I began noticing it August of 2010. I don't know whether is it caused because of lack of sleep, allergies, diet, or because I used a drugstore glycolic peel all over my face instead of avoiding the eye area. What treatment should I get, how much would it cost, and would you be willing to perform on a 16-17 if I had parental consent.

Doctor Answers 5

Treating Undereye Darkness/Puffiness In Young Patients

At this age, you're likely busy with school, and some parents and/or surgeons may not want you to undergo a cosmetic operation at this time. I recommend considering a filler, such as Restylane, which can improve the appearance of the undereyes (see my video). It is temporary, but it's quick and easy and cheaper. 

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Eye bags

If this bothers you a lot - and it appears it does - talk to your parents and together see a specialist in the eye area (ie oculoplastic surgeon) for an evaluation.  There may be good answers but you need information first.


Best of luck


Dr. Massry

Guy Massry, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Puffy Eyes at 16

Before considering any invasive procedure, you need to have a good medical workup, looking for allergies, sinus problems etc.  If this is normal then I would consider a topical treatment such as a vitamin K serum. 

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

FIllers with parental permission.

Dear puffy

Your parents permission is essential for you to be seen and cared for.  A small amount of Restylane filler should make a profound difference for you.  This service might last one or two years.  Avoid the peels they will do very little.  A good skin moisturize is also helpful, but don't spend a lot of money on this.  A $30 moisturizer will be as good as a $300 moisturize even if the packaging is not as fancy.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Tear trough hollows

You appear to have hollows under your eyes with some skin discoloration. While this can be due to fatigue, stress, your peel or a combination of factors. The hollows in the area of what is termed the tear trough can be improved with injectable fillers. Sometimes filling in this area also indirectly improves the discoloration by eliminating the shadow caused by the hollow itself. For tear trough fillers, I use restylane and find it to be very successful. However, injections into this area must be done by a plastic surgeon who does a high volume of fillers specifically for under eye hollows in order to get a good result and avoid complications. I have also found that restylane, if injected properly right over the orbital bone, can last 1 year to even 1.5 years in this area.

Anita Mandal, MD
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.