Making Nipples Smaller For Men

When I went through puberty (23 now), I seemed to have suffered some gyno (I believe thats the correct term). My nipples are puffier and larger than most men. I work out daily and have a good build, but the larger nipples lowers my self esteem. Is there a surgery to fix this? If so what is the average cost? What type of doctor would I go see? And what is the average recovery time? Thanks, Dan

Puffy Nipples Gynecomastia

Even with minimal breast tissue enlargement, an enlarged areolar diameter tends to produce a feminized breast/chest appearance. For patients with an enlarged areolar diameter, an areolar reduction can be performed in addition to direct excision of breast tissue and liposuction. This requires an incision, and thus a scar, that encompasses the entire circumference of the areola. However, the scar is usually obscured fairly well by the color difference between areolar skin and the adjacent chest skin, and the reduced areolar diameter can be critical to producing a more masculine appearance of the anterior chest.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Making Nipples Smaller For Men

You are likely a good candidate for this procedure but photos and examination will help determine that. Cost in this region is around $4-8K depending on experience and OR fees. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Puffy nipples is usually a result of excess glandular tissue, which is a condition called gynecomastia. This can be corrected by removing the excess tissue, as well as possibly reducing the size of the areola. The cost would be about $6000 to $7500 in Canada. A board certified plastic surgeon would be able to fix this, but make sure they have experience in this concern.

Ronald Levine, MD

Don't worry - your problem can be fixed

It sounds like you have gynecomastia - the enlargement of male breast tissue.

About 80% of teenage boys get it, and frequently it doesn't go away.  So don't freak out about it.

Surgery can often totally correct it.  And as the tissue is removed the nipple get smaller and less puffy.

It is treated by a plastic surgeon.  Peruse this site and you'll find questions and photos answered by experienced doctors.  Choose one or two and go on consultations.

Prices will vary between doctors, their experience, the type of anesthesia, and a number of other factors. Ask the price when you call the office.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

Gynecomastia is relatively common and easily treatable

Gynecomastia can occur very commonly during puberty due to normal hormonal changes. Nipples may be swollen and tender. Typically is resolves after puberty but in some men, despite normal weight it can persist. Correction is a simple procedure involving reduction of underlying breast gland (and fat if present) through very small incisions leaving little scarring. Usually the skin shrinks but occasionally with a more extreme condition, the skin may need to be reduced as well. 

Minor outpatient surgery, minimal discomfort and quick recovery. Cost varies by geographic region and doctor's practice.

Schedule a consultation with a Plastic surgeon to learn more details.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Making Nipples Smaller For Men

Thank you for your question.  The development of puffy nipples in males can certainly indicate gynecomastia.  With any breast development behind the nipple, the areola will be stretched and appear enlarged.  Surgery can be done to remove the glandular tissue which will make the appearance of your nipples and areola smaller, and if the areola remains enlarged after glandular excision, an areolar reduction can be performed to surgically minimize the areola, but this does require a circumferential incision around the areola.  Hope this helps.  

Gynecomastia

Good questions, Dan.  Puffiness of the nipple can certainly be gynecomastia.  There is a safe and effective treatment which is surgery.  The puffiness from glandular tissue is excised.  Cost ranges from $5,000 to $8,500.  I would recommend a board certified plastic surgeon.

Tim Neavin, MD

Male breast reduction

Hola Dan, there are several solutions for your concern.

medical treatment and surgical. 

the prices varies form doctor to doctor, you must choose a board certificated plastic surgeon. 

the recovery time for this procedure is about a month. 

Eduardo Mejia, MD

Surgery for puffy nipples

Gynecomastia (enlargement of the male breast) may be localized or diffuse.  Localized gynecomastia occurs when there is excessive breast tissue immediately deep to the nipple areola, causing a puffy appearance.  Diffuse gynecomastia occurs when there is widespread breast tissue, causing the entire breast to look enlarged.  The less-than-technical term for this is "man boobs."
Puffy nipples (actually excess tissue beneath the nipple areolae) are typically treated by male breast reduction surgery.  This requires a small incision along the lower 30% of the areolar border (border between pigmented and non-pigmented skin), typically resulting in a fine line and well-camouflaged scar.  Through this incision, excess breast tissue is removed, resulting in a flatter nipple areola.  Nipple-areolar diameter is frequently reduced, as the skin contracts after surgery.
Following surgery, you will be on pain medication for about 5 to 7 days.  You cannot work out for 4 weeks.  You will need to wear a compressive vest for 4 weeks (24/7) and then on a tapering basis for another 4 weeks.

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

You appear to have gynecomastia which results in areolar enlargement. Having the breast tissue removed will allow the areola to reduce in size. Occasionally the areola will require a reduction by removing skin tissue.