Making Nipples Smaller For Men

When I went through puberty (23 now), I seemed to have suffered some gyno (I believe thats the correct term). My nipples are puffier and larger than most men. I work out daily and have a good build, but the larger nipples lowers my self esteem. Is there a surgery to fix this? If so what is the average cost? What type of doctor would I go see? And what is the average recovery time? Thanks, Dan

Puffy Nipples Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Even with minimal breast tissue enlargement, an enlarged areolar diameter tends to produce a feminized breast/chest appearance. For patients with an enlarged areolar diameter, an areolar reduction can be performed in addition to direct excision of breast tissue and liposuction. This requires an incision, and thus a scar, that encompasses the entire circumference of the areola. However, the scar is usually obscured fairly well by the color difference between areolar skin and the adjacent chest skin, and the reduced areolar diameter can be critical to producing a more masculine appearance of the anterior chest.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Making Nipples Smaller For Men

You are likely a good candidate for this procedure but photos and examination will help determine that. Cost in this region is around $4-8K depending on experience and OR fees. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Puffy Nipple

The first thing to know is that this is not uncommon. While it may not be talked about openly, there are many men out there who have experienced the same issue as you. During puberty some boys will experience a change in their breasts, however for most it resolves within approx. 2 years. If your breasts remain unchanged once you are beyond puberty, surgical correction is the only option for getting rid of it. The type of gynecomastia you are describing is referred to as Puffy Nipple or Type 1. At my practice, I perform this type of surgery safely in-office under local anesthesia. Results are very predictable and you can be free of your condition permanently. The average total recovery time is 10-12 weeks. Back to work, a few days. 

Puffy nipple gynecomastia

There are many patients who are of athletic build but still have prominent puffy areolas.  Some patients will notice that when their nipple is contracted they are happy with their appearance.  However, when the nipple/areola is not contracted when they are warm it is noticeable through their t-shirts.

Recovery:

1. Surgery usually takes between 1-2 hrs.

2. Patients are wrapped in an ace bandage for 1-2 days after surgery.

3. After 48 hrs most patients switch to a compression shirt

4. Time off work is usually 4-7 days depending on occupation and severity.

Don't worry, this a common condition among many men and it is treatable.

Hi Dan,

Without a proper physical examination or some pictures (although photos don't always do justice) to gain a better understanding, it will be hard to tell what you are exactly suffering from, what the degree of it is and what treatment you require.

From the conditions you mention sound like it is a breast tissue enlargement. It is important for you to know that male breast enlargement is not permanent and is surgically treatable.

As far as recovery goes, the first three to four days after surgery are the most difficult. There will be incisions to keep clean and certain pain relievers may be prescribed to you to help you feel better as you heal.

All told, you’ll need about two months to recover completely. However, three or four days post-surgery, you should be able to resume your normal daily activities, or most of them. The exception is driving. It’s best to wait at least seven days after your operation before taking the wheel.

My advice would be to look for a board certified, well experienced & highly rated surgeon in your city and visit him / her for a consultation.

#gynocomastia #malebreastreduction

Without photos it is not possible to determine if you have true gynecomastia or simply need liposuction. If you are concerned with the diameter of your areola, a mastopexy would reduce the size of the areola.     I would see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss.     

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Answers

Dear Dan,

Gynecomastia, or gyno, develops in puberty when testosterone levels surge and some of it is transformed into estrogen and stimulate the breast bud which both men and women are born.  If it persists longer than 2 years, it usually will not reverse and surgery is required.  This is the most common procedure that I perform in my practice and I have developed a technique with no scar on the chest, no drainage tubes, and return to no workout restrictions in three weeks.  Patients are back to desk jobs in three days. 

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question!  It is hard to tell exactly what you suffer from without a physical examination.  I suggest you seek a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board Certified Plastic Surgeon ChicagoHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

Puffy nipples is usually a result of excess glandular tissue, which is a condition called gynecomastia. This can be corrected by removing the excess tissue, as well as possibly reducing the size of the areola. The cost would be about $6000 to $7500 in Canada. A board certified plastic surgeon would be able to fix this, but make sure they have experience in this concern.

Ronald Levine, MD

Don't worry - your problem can be fixed

It sounds like you have gynecomastia - the enlargement of male breast tissue.

About 80% of teenage boys get it, and frequently it doesn't go away.  So don't freak out about it.

Surgery can often totally correct it.  And as the tissue is removed the nipple get smaller and less puffy.

It is treated by a plastic surgeon.  Peruse this site and you'll find questions and photos answered by experienced doctors.  Choose one or two and go on consultations.

Prices will vary between doctors, their experience, the type of anesthesia, and a number of other factors. Ask the price when you call the office.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD