What should I do about a stitch that is coming out from otoplasty that was done forty years ago? (photos)

The stitch on the left ear started working its way out about 15 years after surgery. My Doctor at the time pulled it out and I have a small round indentation where the stitch came out. Now Forty years after surgery on my right ear in the exact same place it is happening again. I keep having bouts with MRSA , not sure if I should have this one pulled out or just keep it clean and let it work its way out on its own. My glasses are really irritating it.

Exposed suture

Have the stich removed. Your ear shape is unlikely to change and this will never really heal unless the "foreign body" is removed.

Suture spitting

Your suture should be taken out. This can be done by any number of specialists. I am sure you can find a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon in your area. Get this done sooner rather than later. It may even be able to be done under local in the office, which would be cheaper.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Suture extrusion forty years after otoplasty

Dear Holy Ear:The suture that is working its way out on your right ear is best removed. If your glasses are irritating it and you are having bouts with MRSA, having the suture removed will reduce the chance of it becoming infected.John Standefer MD