Lost info card for 12 yr old breast implants. Will this make explant process difficult?

I got saline breast implants 12 years ago and do not remember much about the specifics as far as cc' s and placement. I believe they are under the muscle & I went from b cup to a d cup. I have had 3 kids & they have now bottomed out. I want them removed & to possibly get a breast lift. Will not having the implant details make this process more difficult for the doctor? I have tried to get my info from my original surgeon with no luck. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for the question. No, the absence of the implant card will not necessarily make the breast surgery more difficult. Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, he/she will be able to get a good idea of breast implant size/positioning based on physical examination. I hope this, and the attached link, dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns helps.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Lost info card for 12 year old breast implants

Thank you for your question.  It does help to have the information, but it isn't crucial either.  Many women come into my office with older implants and no information and it works out without any problems.  

Chad Robbins, MD

If you just want the implants removed and not replaced, you do not need the implant information. Your surgeon will be able to discuss if you can have a lift at the same time or need to wait based upon the exam.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implant information and subsequent breast procedures

Even though mostly retired I have tried to maintain my office records to help with situations like this, but in the case of implant removal, the specifics of implants aren't important. The experienced examining surgeon should be able to determine that they are saline-filled, below the muscle, and whether there are any capsule issues that need to be addressed at the time of removal. Saline-filled implants can be removed under local anesthesia alone with a 2 cm incision in the inframammary crease as long as no capsule removal or adjustment is required. Following this simple removal, the breasts can be assessed as to whether a lift or other procedure is indicated later on. It is even possible to intentional drain saline-filled implants externally and assess the look of the result. This voids the warranty of the implants and more-or-less commits the patient to an implant removal (or replacement) but it can be done with a simple office aspiration procedure. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

12 year old implants

Thanks for the question. Loss of the breast implant identification card is not all that important. An in-person examination with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will help with operative planning and aesthetic goals.Dr. Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon