Nose swelling after Rhinoplasty! What to expect? One day good and another is not.

I did my primary rihnoplasty 7 weeks ago. My nose is still swollen a bit. But some days it looks terrible especially from the tip, and i dont know why it looks like that. However, i noticed that maybe 3 days out of the days after my rihnoplasty that my nose looked so good in shape and almost not swollen. Should rely on that as a final result of my nose? Because i as satsfied with that look and not what it looks like now

Swelling after surgery

Swelling of the nose after surgery is normal and will resolve over time.  It can take a full 6-12 months for final results to be apparent.  It is also normal that you will note more swelling certain days compared to others as the swelling can fluctuate based on many factors such as activity, sleeping position, diet, etc.  

Rhinoplasty

At 7 weeks out, you are still early in the healing process. It can take a year or longer for the nose to settle and for the swelling to subside.

2 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 2 months after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

Swelling following a rhinoplasty procedure is a big concern for patients. We always tell our patients you really can't appreciate the true results of rhinoplasty for a full YEAR. That's not to say you should expect to be exceptionally swollen for an entire year, but it does take quite a while following surgery before the secondary changes begin to become apparent. We actually made a video featuring one of our rhinoplasty patients who later became an employee at our practice, explaining her post-op swelling. (See video below)

You also mentioned on your photo that your tip was "hard" which is very common following rhinoplasty. This firmness is a result of swelling, which will subside over time, but also good rhinoplasty surgeons actually reinforce the tip with with cartilage to keep it from dropping after surgery.

If you would like to learn more about our practice, and watch our team in action, add us on Snapchat! (@nosebynayak)

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose swelling after Rhinoplasty! What to expect? One day good and another is not. (photos)

Sounds like normal course. But best to obtain in person detailed expansion from your surgeon as to the course of your healing.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

The fluctuations in swelling after rhinoplasty is very typical.  You will notice that the swelling particularly of the tip will fluctuate.  You may notice the swelling to be worse in the morning and improve throughout the day.  You will also notice swelling to be worse on some days and improve with others.  These fluctuations are due to water retention in the body.  The nose after rhinoplasty is sensitive to these changes in water retention.