How many years can one look younger with a facelift?

What is real in your opinion? In my opinion (not an expert only a woman looking at before and after pictures of various plastic surgeons) most women or men just look a bit younger or refreshed. However, some Hollywood stars like Christie Brinkley or Lauren Koslow look 30 years younger as their real age. How is that possible? Is it the money they spent? Is it that their plastic surgeons are artists while others are just handymen? Do these women get secret proceeding that regular women don't know about?

Facelift

No one wants to appear “done”, with the skin pulled back too severely. Thanks to the advent of new technologies such as endoscopy (where surgery is done under the skin through a small incision using a tiny camera), liposuction, facial implants, and other “mini” procedures used either by themselves of in combination, we can do a lot less and achieve more positive, natural-looking results

There are several different types of face-lifts that doctors perform. A two-layer face-lift, the most common type, involves the tightening of the tissue under the skin, or SMAS (subcutaneous musculo-aponeurotic substance). With a mini-lift, only the lower face -- from cheek to chin -- is lifted, which effectively eliminates jowls and redefines the cheekbones. 

As with a face-lift, the mini-lift is often accompanied by a neck lift, which removes fat from below the chin and tightens the neck's platysma muscles, all through a tiny incision under the chin. There are distinct advantages to having a neck lift along wih your face-lift: The incision is tiny and leaves virtually no scar; moreover, your smooth neck won’t be out of sync with your youthful face! The best candidates for the mini-lift are those who are unhappy with the contour of their lower face and neck, and whose skin has good resiliency. It's also an ideal procedure for a patient who is nervous about going all the way with a major overhaul.

Younger options

This questions is very difficult to answer but the best way to answer it is to say that first the patient will look better because aging normally changes  aour look to not attractive and lack of energy, second able the patient will look more dramatically younger if has age prematurely and more tissues are involve.

How much younger

A facelift allows you to look 10 to 20 years younger on average. The art is to do this without changing what you look like. The key is to make you look like a younger you and not a younger version of you. A properly performed facelift should look natural and not operated looking. I always have my patients bring in a close up photo of themselves which will be used in the operating room to accurately determine the proper vector of pull. Everybody is unique.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Face lift - how long will I look younger?

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• After a face lift, you will permanently look younger than your peers but you will age as before
  • Face lifts done before age 55 are less likely to need later tightenings than those done later.
  • Celebrities look so good because they constantly invest time and money in their facial appearance, because they usually start off gorgeous with great bones (always a help) and because their photos are photoshopped.
  • Having worked in Beverly Hills, I did not find the quality of surgery any better than elsewhere.
  • In fact, at times, it was worse - because many celebrity surgeons are not plastic surgeons.
  • The plastic surgeons there are very very good - but no better than plastic surgeons elsewhere.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Your question is very well taken. I partially agree with you. however, there is more depth to the concept of facial rejuvenation rather than a simple there are excellent or mediocre surgeons.

facial rejuvenation if more than pulling skin. It is based on 4 basic components: 

1. improving the quality of the skin

2. improving deep and light wrinkles

3. improving volume

4. repositioning of tissues.

There are multiple techniques to address each problem. I think that volume replacement may be an important component of significant rejuvenation outcomes. The caveat is that fat is unpredictable, and what looks great now, might not look awesome in the future. Once the fat starts behaving the way it does from the source it comes from, we might be facing significant deformities very difficult to address. 

I personally think that the actresses that you mention had a very graceful aging. making the surgery more successful. However there are a little bit overdone in my taste. Once again. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We will see if the current surgeries will stand the test of time.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Facelift results - what is a reasonable result expectation ?

A well done facelift that includes peri-orbital rejuvenation (brow lift etc) and fat grafting will dramatically 'de-age' the face without a tight or 'done' appearance. There are a variety of facelift techniques available, but in general, a more extensive procedure (not a 'quick' lift or 'mini' facelift) will deliver a more stable result over time.

How Many Years Younger Can a Facelift Patient Look

Many factors contribute to the appearance of a patient as they age including genetics, life style, skin care, facial rejuvenation surgery, make-up, etc. I will tell my patients that they will look refreshed rather than trying to predict how much younger they will look. The quality of work and care is very important; while have pointed out ladies who look fabulous there are multiple examples of celebrities who do not look so good. Having said that, celebrities get the same treatment as my patients who are not well known.

Each individual has different potential for improvement from facelift surgery.  Bone structure, skin quality, history of weight changes and sun exposure are just a few of the factors.  When a properly and thoroughly done facelift is performed I think it is fair to say a patient can expect to look good for a period of 10 to 12 years on average.  Personally I have had a few patients return 16 or 18 years after their first facelift to have it redone though the average is probably closer to 11 or 12 years.  Many patients feel that they look 10 to 15 years younger after the procedure but of course this is subjective.

Focus on finding a doctor in whom you feel confident who is caring and can show you excellent quality before-and-after photographs who also has a good reputation in the community.  Do not expect miracles but do expect a refreshing look that makes you appear rejuvenated healthier and more feminine.  Best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

The majority of patients tell me they look at old photos of themselves and find the surgical rejuvenation takes off between 8-15 years. If you look at many of the stars up close in real life you will see they look older than on TV or the Movies or in print because of makeup, lighting and photoshopping. But also remember these people are often born with attributes we consider beautiful and that helps also. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

How many years younger will a face lift make someone look?

Thank you for your great question. I typically tell patients they should expect to look roughly 10 years younger. This being said I also have patients that look significantly younger after their face lift. You should find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who is a member of ASPS and ASAPS. You should also find someone who specializes in facial rejuvenation procedures. When considering a face lift you need to look at facial rejuvenation overall. Some patients need a face lift alone, others need fat transferred to restore volume that has been lost with aging. Additional procedures such as laser resurfacing can reduce the fine lines and wrinkles, improve tone and texture and give the skin a more youthful appearance. Some patients need their eyes done as well. It takes an experienced surgeon who can look at the face and determine which combination of procedures should be performed to deliver youthful and beautiful results.

Once you have the facial rejuvenation procedures, you need to protect that investment and maintain it. Broad band light treatments quarterly will lift pigment and stimulate collagen is a great option. Botox and fillers as well as a great skincare program including Retin A and a good sunscreen are also important to maintain your results.

There are several factors involved including the age of the patient, quality of skin, sun exposure and more. Not all patients are the same and not all patients get the same results. Find someone who will design an individualized plan that will achieve your desired goals.