Can a sliding genioplasty be partially "undone" (slid back the other way) safely?

I had a sliding genioplasty operation where my chin was reduced vertically and pushed backwards horizontally and fixed with a screw. However, while I like how it's shorter vertically, my chin looked much better when it protruded more. Is there a possibility that I can make it protrude a bit more than it does now with a sliding genioplasty again? If yes, is there a possibility of making it even shorter slightly at the same time? I don't want an implant in my face or anything fake.

Doctor Answers 3

Sliding genioplasty redone

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is possible to perform a second surgery on the chin to improve aesthetics. I would perform a CT scan of the chin bone to evaluate the previous surgery. There needs to be adequate bone support to allow bone to bone healing. I know that you expressed reluctance to have an implant, but in this case, if all you are seeking is more protrusion a chin implant is the easiest solution. It can be placed through an oral incision and there is minimal recovery time. Good luck!

Ventura Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Redo genioplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There should be no problem to do sliding genioplasty again. It would be in your best interest  to discuss this with a surgeon who performed your initial surgery, if possible. Good luck. 

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Sliding Genioplasty Reversal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A sliding geniplasty can be partially or fully undone. Now that you know how the bony movements have effected your chin shape, you will have a better understanding as to how to create a partial reversal. Moving the chin horizontally back, as you have discovered, rarely produces a favorable aesthetic change.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.