Noticeably asymmetry post 5 weeks after v-line and facelift surgery!!!! (photo)

5 weeks ago, I had v-line surgery and a facelift done. The right side is healing well, but the left side is completely asymmetrical. It is noticeably more swollen. You can also see that the area just above my lip and under my nose is being "tugged" to the left side causing noticeable asymmetry. I haven't seen ANY improvement on this side for the past 3 weeks. I brought this concern up to the surgeon a week ago and he said that everything would resolve in another month. Normal or not?

Asymmetric swelling is normal following a facelift

Asymmetric swelling is completely normal following facelift surgery and can last for a while. Five weeks is still early to tell what your final result will be. Be patient and if after several months you are still unhappy with your result, visit your surgeon again to find out what happened and the best course of action, if necessary. Keep in mind that everyone has some degree of asymmetry to their face, which they might not notice until a facelift brings it to light. I hope this helps.

Asymmetry 5 weeks after facelift

Asymmetries may continue after weeks.  I would continue to follow up with your surgeon discussing your concerns.  

Review your per-operative pictures.  You may note that you previously had a difference.

Be patient, most asymmetries will lessen and completely resolve with time.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

FACIAL ASYMMETRY AFTER SURGERY

This is a distressing problem, but may completely resolve.  From the limited photographic view that was provided, the swelling seems to be more generalized rather than just in one small area.  That is most likely due to swelling which will resolve in time.  But is takes patience and a positive attitude.  A visit to your surgeon and review of your preoperative photographs to detect any prior asymmetry may make you feel better.

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Asymmetry after facelift

I wonder if that was the larger side of your face to start with.  You may consider checking photographs to see if that is true.  I might make you feel better.  But lets assume that is not the case, another explanation is that you might sleep with that side down.  That would make is more swollen and take longer to improve.  If that is the case it will likely get better in time.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Postop Facelift Asymmetry

Hello 'kimchicanuck37', thanks for your question.  I am not sure what a 'v-line' surgery is, but 5 weeks is still relatively early after a facelift surgery and it would still be normal to see some swelling, bruising, asymmetry, etc at this point.  Further, without seeing preop photos, it would be difficult to ascertain if there was any baseline asymmetry, which everyone has to some extent.  The photo you posted seems within normal limits and I usually recommend waiting 6 months to a year before full healing has occurred and swelling has resolved before jumping to any conclusions.  Hang in there!

-Dr.92660

Without your pre-op photos

its really impossible to comment on your results and concerns.  I do appreciate a hint more fullness on one side but I don't appreciate any pulling of your nose.  Bottom line, you have to trust your chosen surgeon to do the right things for you as your surgeon should share your goals for the best outcome possible.

Curtis Wong, MD

Asymmetry of Face

The cause of your asymmetry may be:

1. Swelling (most likely).
2. Previous asymmetry you didn't recognize (very common).
3. Actual asymmetrical result (possible).

You will not be able to determine this for 6 months, so sit tight and stop worrying.  Visit your surgeon regularly.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Asymmetric Swelling Post Facelift

#Asymmetric #swelling is not uncommon following surgical procedures, including a #facelift. Do not be alarmed if one side of your face is slightly more swollen or numb than the other. This is common and usually disappears within a few weeks.

Its best to remain patient because it is still early in to your recovery. The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away.
#Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen.

Nevertheless, if you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Noticeably asymmetry post 5 weeks after v-line and facelift surgery!!!!

Hello Kimchicanuck37,

It is common for one side to be more swollen after surgery (usually from when you sleep and the head falls that direction so gravity pulls it).  This can create a temporary asymmetry.  It is also very common (in fact more common than not) that the two sides of the face were asymmetric before surgery.  I like to point this out to my patients when present because everyone examines his or her face much more closely after a surgery.  The facelift may have made this asymmetry more noticeable as the slack was removed.  I'd recommend you follow up closely with your surgeon to verify things are healing well.  He or she woudl also have your pre op photos and could determine if the asymmetry was present beforehand as well. 

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after face lift

Thank you for the question and photos.  I do see the asymmetry that you have noted.  This certainly can be swelling and if this is the case it should resolve with more time.  Your plastic surgeon would be the best person to determine if this is just swelling or something else.  Since it is still relatively early, there is still time for the swelling to improve.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD