What can be done with a nose like mine?

I have this nose that's been bothering me for years now. It's really wide and has really big nostrils. I'm planning to get a nose job once I have the money but first I'd like to find out what can be done with it. Is it possible to change it so that it looks like singer Alexander Rybak's nose?

Rhinoplasty candidate and narrow a wide nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing a wide nose. To narrow wide nasal bones requires osteotomies placed in them. A tip rhinoplasty is required to narrow the nasal tip cartilages which usually include the conservative cartilage removal, and suture techniques. An alar-plasty is performed to narrow wide nostrils.  For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Male rhinoplasty

Alex Rybak is Alex Rybak and you are you. The only way to have his nose is to photoshop it onto your photo. Your nostrils are wide as is your bridge and the tip is raised slightly. You can narrow the bridge with infractures and narrow the alar/nostril bases by removing small wedges from the outer inside corners of the nostrils. The difficulty will be in lowering the tip because the conventional tip procedures raise it, which can be feminizing in a male as can aggressive narrowing of the bridge.

Your best bet is to have an imaging session with one or more surgeons to see which changes you would be happy with and which ones you would rather not have.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear noseczek, You are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty surgery to help address all of the above mentioned concerns. You have very nice facial aesthetics and rhinoplasty surgery to refine your wide nasal base, nasal bridge and refinement to the tip will better balance your facial aesthetics. I would suggest seeking consultations with some experts in the field of rhinoplasty surgery and have digital imaging performed to show you the possible changes to your nose. At the same time you can look at before and after photographs of similar noses and then make a very informed decision. As far as looking like Rybak's nose I believe if you wanted that same look as your desired result then it is attainable and realistic. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Narrowing your nostrils

Thank you for your question. The concerns you  have regarding your nose shape and wide nostrils are a common complaint .It is very realistic for you to get the nose shape you desire yet still have a masculine more defined nose without looking done. Be sure to select your surgeon that has several years of experience in Rhinoplasties and be sure they are board certified.

Goals of Rhinoplasty Surgery

Goals of Rhinoplasty Surgery. Consider narrowing your entire nose including the bridge, tip and the rounded nasal base. This will give you a defined nose that is proportional to your excellent surrounding facial features. See an experienced rhinoplasty specialist because you don't want to increase tip rotation which will shorten your nose.

Rhinoplasty for a more masculine and attractive nose.

Rhinoplasty for a more masculine and attractive nose. This can be achieved with nostril narrowing, narrowing the bridge and adding length to your nose and increasing projection. See a very experienced surgeon for this who does natural looking noses.

Rhinoplasty to refine the nose

Dear noseczek,

• After looking at Alexander's nose, it looks like you want to refine the tip and narrow the frontal view
  • This can be accomplished to get close to that nose (but not exact)
  • When you are ready please visit a rhinoplasty specialist who can address all of your concerns

Dr. Nima

Nima Shemirani, MD

Male Rhinoplasty

You are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty.  Tip and nostril width would be addressed.  Go visit a few surgeons in your area for consultation.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

What can be done with a nose like mine?

Hi and thanks for your question. If your concern is to narrow the nostril base and perhaps narrow the nasal bridge, then such goals may be obtainable. No one can make your nose look like someone else's nose. After 30 plus years performing aesthetic plastic surgery, I would recommend that you see a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Good luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and photos and at a consultation aided by digital photography and your input, you will literally be able to see what is and what is not possible with your nose.  So see some experts in your area that use this technique.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD