How long do you have to wait to exercise after Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation? It's been 3 1/2 months.

Dr Derby

thank you for your question. I would discuss this directly with your surgeon , i would start light aerobic exercises after 8 weeks and then slowly augment intensity. Best of luck 

Check with your surgeon

The most important guidelines for this are those of your surgeon as your individual case may have factors that alter the typical recovery timelines. I myself have a "usual" set of guidelines that I tell patients, but I adjust them based on the patient's surgery, anatomy, and recovery course.

For my patient's without any modifiers, I encourage them to begin light walking after three weeks and gradually ramp up this with non-impact cardio - (ie no jogging or Zoomba or jump-rope, etc but walking, incline treadmill, stairclimber, etc.) until 6 weeks after which exercise which is not too heavy on the core (ie no sit-ups or planking, but exercise with weights is allowed if the patient holds their core tight during the exercise). At three months, I would allow pretty much any activity, although I would encourage the patient to ease into any activity - don't start trying to bang out a set of 50 sit-ups as your first effort.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

How long must you wait to exercise following mommy makeover?

Generally speaking, I let my patients resume light aerobic activity at 3 weeks post-op. Then, at 6 weeks, I clear them to go back to doing whatever they would like (except for any heavy, strenuous core activity).  However, every plastic surgeon has a different protocol.  Please refer to your specific surgeon and his staff with this question. Good luck!

Exercise after Mommy Makeover

Hello and thank you for your question. Generally you may start exercising six weeks after surgery. You can start off by walking and making sure you are not lifting any weights. Since it has already been 3 1/2 months, you should able to resume all activities. Please consult with your surgeon to see if are healing well. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Resumption of exercise after mommy makeover surgery.

I encourage walking immediately after mommy makeover surgery. If abdominoplasty is involved activity must not involve targeting the abdominal muscles for six weeks. The breasts must remain at rest during any athletic activity such as running for six weeks.

Mommy Makeover - Post Op Exercise

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. Most patients are cleared to exercise by six weeks following a mommy makeover.   it is best to have an in-person follow up examination with your plastic surgeon for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing at this time. Good luck in your recovery.

Mommy make-over - how soon to exercise?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and breast augmentation.

• Generally you can start exercising 6-8 weeks after surgery.
  • Check with your own surgeon to see why you weren't allowed to exercise earlier.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation and  tummy tuck surgery. Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice.  

In our practice, I ask patients to start walking from day one. Lower extremity exercise, such as use of stationary bicycle, weights, lunges... can be resumed at the two-week mark (sometimes sooner depending on the exact operation performed and how the patient is doing clinically).  Returned to upper body workout and running usually begins 4 to 6 weeks post op.   Within 2 to 3 months you should be able to return to all types of exercise (gradually and "listening to your body").

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

How Long to Wait to Exercise After a Mommy Makeover?

You should check with your surgeon who knows you best. For my patients, I want them to wait 6 weeks before resuming any type of formal exercise. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD